We’re building a digital insurer which is affordable, instant and inclusive.
We use machine learning, automation, our own technology stack and comprehensive data integrations to offer quicker, simpler and fairer insurance to customers. We’re trying to build the largest, most technological insurance company of our generation, and we’ve got a long-way to go!
Currently, despite only being founded 3.5 years ago, we are valued at over $300m and have raised $35m to date! We have also been named one of London’s best startups to work for in 2021, check out the article here.
We are a team of over 80, have over half a million customers, a 4.5* Trustpilot and are championed by amazing investors who have backed the likes of Monzo and Spotify.
You can find out about our culture and what working at Marshmallow is like here.
What you'll be doing 🤔
As the very first Android engineer you’ll be working in an entirely greenfield environment to build and launch our first app and take the first step towards rebuilding insurance, for good.
We’re very excited and believe you’ll be instrumental in:
- Vastly improve our customer experience, reducing friction and helping people in their moments of need with an instant and delightful experience
- Revolutionising the way claims are handled in an antiquated industry which hasn’t kept up with technological advancement
- Assisting us in fraud detection & prevention, which will help us to lower prices and make insurance more affordable for our legitimate customers
You will work across the entire SDLC, with designers and product owners to help shape the product & then translate requirements into reality. Excellent communication and willingness to collaborate are therefore vital.
The position will be IC at the start, very hands-on, you’ll have to be a self starter, highly motivated, someone who takes ownership and doesn’t wait to be told what to do. In the future this could evolve into hiring, growing the team & managing people as “Lead Android Engineer”.
Who you are 🙋
- You are a self-starter who likes to take ownership
- You enjoy creating and managing processes
- You are curious and have a can-do attitude
- You are patient and stay calm under pressure
- You are organised and can be relied upon to get things done
- You enjoy working in a high growth/scaling environment
- You enjoy problem-solving and creating innovative solutions
- You have a continuous delivery mindset
Experiences that will help you succeed 🎓
- 3+ years of commercial experience building B2C applications
- You have an outcome oriented mindset and care about the “why” behind what you are building.
- Have experience with automation testing & continuous delivery.
- You believe in frequent, incremental value delivery.
- You have a desire for creating clean, testable code
- You care about customer experience
- Full-stack Android development (such as Activities, Views, Fragments, Services, Broadcast Receivers, Content Providers etc...)
- Experience with Android libraries (such as Android ViewModels, Room DB, RxJava, Kotlin Flows, Kotlin X, Retrofit, Android Navigation, Dagger DI, Gson, etc...)
Our Tech Stack 💻
- Java 14 μServices
- Spring Boot with Spring Cloud
- Dynamo DB
- Neptune DB
- Event Sourcing
- Competitive salary 💵
- Stock options 👩👩👦👦
- 33 day holiday allowance (inc bank holidays) 🏖️
- Learning and training (with at least 2 days a year for self development)📚
- Bi-weekly engineering presentation sessions 🎓
- Bi-annual hackathons 🍕
- Flexible working 🕑
- Health insurance 🏥
- Pension 👵🏽
- Cycle to work scheme 🚲
- Monthly socials 🎳
- Our process consists of 4 stages, there is no techincal test
- We will let you know if we are going to invite you to an interview or not. However, we are a small team so cannot provide feedback on your application