At Arrival, our team is creating best-in-class electric vehicles using a radical new method of design and production. We work with some of the world's leading businesses and governments to achieve our goal of redefining mobility and transport ecosystems, transforming how people and goods travel and enhancing urban environments for all communities.
Innovation, rapid development and testing help us to push the boundaries. Our New Method takes our portfolio of patented technologies created in-house, and combines it with assembly in Arrival Microfactories. It’s a groundbreaking approach, leading to products with maximum functionality, peak efficiency, and an elevated experience – at a much more competitive price than other electric vehicles, and even fossil fuel vehicles.
We’re looking for experienced Android developers to join the Human–Machine Interface (HMI) team to work on the driver–vehicle interaction system (dashboard, on-board computer, infotainment system).
Working in our team will offer you the opportunity to create complex embedded systems.You will be able to see your work come to life in real cars.
The range of the functionality we are developing is wide and varied. Here are some of the things that developers in our team are involved in:
- Developing dashboard interfaces,
- Developing GPS,
- Developing multimedia systems,
- Developing controls to operate the vehicle’s functions, for example wipers or lights,
- Implementing driver identification,
- Implementing voice command recognition,
- Developing mechanisms for updating software components wirelessly,
- Building inter-process communication between system components.
The ideal candidate will share our values and our approach to development:
- We put a lot of thought into our architecture and find solutions in a coordinated way.
- We actively communicate with designers, suggest improvements, and work out the UI to the smallest detail.
- We love to share our knowledge and experience, and we make sure to document our decisions.
- We write Unit tests, check code coverage, and analyze our code using special tools.
- We expect you to have some initiative and experience in these aspects.
In addition, candidates must have:
- Excellent knowledge of Java, Kotlin (Coroutines, Flow) and Android SDK,
- Experience of creating custom UI, widgets, and program flow,
- An understanding of Android UX and how to optimize them for automotive requirements,
- Experience of creating complex, multicomponent, and multithreaded systems on Android OS,
- The ability and desire to test and document code, and write reliable and understandable code.
Also desirable are:
- Experience of C / C ++ development,
- An understanding of and ability to use NDK / JNI,
- Experience of projects using OpenGL,
- Experience of creating navigation solutions,
- Experience of working on projects similar to ours or in the automotive industry,
- An understanding of how Android works at a system level and experience with setting up and configuring it, or a desire to learn how to do this.
Proficiency in English is advisable, particularly written skills, as you will often be required to communicate with foreign colleagues and partners. You may be required to travel for business (UK, USA).
At Arrival we want all of our employees to feel comfortable bringing their passion, creativity and individuality to work. We value all cultures, backgrounds and experiences, as we truly believe that diversity drives innovation. Join our mission to bring better, more sustainable transportation to communities around the world.