Hermeus is a startup developing hypersonic aircraft to radically accelerate air travel. At Mach 5, more than twice the speed of the supersonic Concorde, passengers will be able to cross the Atlantic in 90 minutes. On the path to hypersonic passenger aircraft, Hermeus is partnering with government agencies including the US Air Force and NASA to develop a series of autonomous aircraft that derisk the technology and solve urgent national security challenges. These products provide the data and confidence necessary to certify, produce, operate, and maintain safe and comfortable commercial aircraft. Hypersonic aircraft have the potential to create trillions of dollars of new global economic growth per year, unlocking significant resources that can be utilized to solve the world’s greatest problems.
The Avionics Team is looking for trailblazers who want to bring their vision to the realization of commercial hypersonic flight. Specifically, our team owns all design, test, and integration of GNC, software, electrical hardware, and RF-comms.
We're looking for system-level architects who are *also* full-stack experts within their sub-discipline. Our deliverables include the flight simulator, control room, ground support station, and full aircraft avionics suite. As a member of the avionics team, you'll be responsible for the integration & system-compatibility of your designs. We're creating a diverse team of engineers who are motivated to bring their unique vantage point to tackling big technical and collaborative challenges. Find your place within our vision of commercial hypersonic flight; make Hermeus your next leap!
As an Avionics Mechanical Engineer, you’ll own the mechanical design of the aircraft avionics bay, volume/mass allocations of avionics systems throughout the aircraft, and structural/thermal analyses of avionics systems. The role requires strong mechanical analysis, design, and integration skills – with an eye both for technical closure as well as aesthetics.
- BS in mechanical, structural, or aerospace engineering or similar
- Very strong with CAD, ideally NX
- Experience with or strong interest in working closely with electronics
- In-depth understanding and experience with the full product development lifecycle
- Inspired to work at a small, early stage startup
- Excellent communicator and eager to be a strong proponent of avionics during vehicle systems level conversations
- Self-starter and resilient: take a project from start to finish despite vague or little requirements
- 4-10+ years experience working in a professional mechanical engineering environment with high performance and reliability requirements (aerospace industry preferred but not required)
- Capable at performing FEA (ANSYS or Nastran)
- Strong with technical drawings and GD&T
We encourage you to apply even if you have skillsets and experience outside of our current needs as we're always open to connect and discuss future opportunities.