Agile Six is a people-first, remote-work company that serves shoulder-to-shoulder with federal agencies to find innovative, human-centered solutions. We build better by putting people first. We are animated by our core values of Purpose, Wholeness, Trust, Self-Management and Inclusion. We deliver our solutions in autonomous teams of self-managed professionals (no managers here!) who genuinely care about each other and the work. We know that’s our company’s purpose – and that we can only achieve it by supporting a culture where talented people feel valued, self-managed, and love to come to work.
Agile Six is seeking a Senior Back End/DevOps Software Engineer who is looking to build, deploy and improve user-friendly, mobile-ready, accessible, and secure applications using modern techniques and best practices, including continuous integration and testing and automated deployments in scalable cloud hosting environments. You will be able to bring software development principles and best practices to a range of problems and be able to learn new tools, languages and frameworks as necessary. Most importantly, you will have a passion for working on important problems that have a lasting impact on millions of users and make a difference in our government!
You will join a talented and purpose-driven cross-functional team creating a unified Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Medical Center check-in experience for Veterans across multiple service touch points and interactions. In alignment with the US Digital Services Playbook, the project will leverage Human-centered research and design best practices, modern open source technologies, cloud infrastructures, and DevSecOps practices, all delivered within an Agile framework.
- Create, maintain, deploy and integrate secure RESTful service APIs using NodeJS + Lambda, API Gateway, Terraform and other Amazon Web Services
- Build, maintain, and improve CI/CD pipelines, application monitoring, and other DevOps infrastructure as necessary
- Understand the technical "big picture" and be able to provide guidance on solution direction, architecture, and tool selection
- Proactively find and reduce technical debt (with a focus on tech debt that is frequently an impediment to the rest of the team)
- Identify root causes and resolve functional and performance issues in applications running at scale
- Understand and evaluate technical, resource, and timeline risks, be able to provide mitigation strategies and see them through
- Leverage an expert understanding of design patterns, software engineering principles and best practices to create software components and services, guide architectural decisions, and solve complex technical problems
- Communicate technical design concepts to technical and non-technical stakeholders, both verbally and through diagrams
- Work “in the open” using a public Github repository and issue tracker, and using collaborative communication channels such as Slack
- Provide guidance and informal leadership to the team through code reviews, pair coding mentorship, etc.
- Participate and be fully engaged in all team meetings and Agile ceremonies, including, but not limited to, daily standup meetings, sprint planning and backlog refinement meetings, sprint reviews, and retrospectives
- Work with the Product Owner and other teammates to ensure that work is accurately described and appropriately prioritized, including providing input into product roadmaps, product and sprint backlogs, and user stories
- Build and sustain strong relationships with the internal team and external partners
- Support the practice of engineering within the larger company as needed through activities such as:
- Assisting in outreach, recruitment, and hiring efforts
- Occasionally participating in or otherwise supporting business development efforts, including code or design challenges, writing or reviewing proposal responses, etc.
- Participating in communities of practice
- We expect the responsibilities of this position to shift and grow organically over time, in response to considerations such as the unique strengths and interests of the selected candidate and other team members and an evolving understanding of the delivery environment
- At least eight (8) years of experience as a software engineer
- At least two (2) years of professional experience building or contributing to DevOps infrastructure (writing scripts, configuring CI/CD pipelines, etc.) in a cloud environment
- Hands-on experience building production REST APIs using NodeJS and serverless frameworks such as AWS Lambda
- Understanding of DevOps best practices: CI/CD, Test Automation, Pipeline monitoring, evangelizing DevOps culture
- Ability to develop, maintain, and deploy code using remote source control management within a continuous integration framework
- Experience in an open, collaborative development environment
- Is adaptive, empathetic, collaborative and holds a positive mindset
- Ability to be autonomous and can take initiative
- Has lived and worked in the United States for 3 out of the last 5 years
Additional desired qualifications
- Experience working in healthcare
- Experience with Terraform or other IaC platforms
- Experience with Jira and Confluence
- Experience developing in the AWS cloud
- Previously contributed to at least one open source project
- Experience working in or with government agencies, especially the VA
- You are a U.S. Veteran
Salary and Sixer Benefits
To promote equal pay for equal work, we publish salary ranges for each position.
The salary for this position is $151,709 - $159,489
Our benefits are designed to reinforce our core values of Wholeness, Self Management and Inclusion. The following benefits are available to all employees. We respect that only you know what balance means for your life and season. While we offer support from coaches, we expect you to own your wholeness, show up for work whole, and go home to your family the same. You will be seen, heard and valued. We expect you to offer the same for your colleagues, be kind (not controlling), be caring (not directive) and ready to participate in a state of flow. We mean it when we say “We build better by putting people first”.
All Sixers Enjoy:
- Self-managed work/life balance and flexibility
- Competitive and equitable salary (equal pay for equal work)
- Tenure-based profit sharing
- Employee Stock Ownership (ESOP) for all employees!
- 401K matching
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Employer paid short and long term disability insurance
- Employer paid life insurance
- Self-managed and generous paid time off
- Paid federal holidays and Election day off
- Paid parental leave
- Self-managed professional development spending
- Self-managed wellness days
Agile Six Applications, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, age, pregnancy, disability, work-related injury, covered veteran status, political ideology, marital status, or any other factor that the law protects from employment discrimination.
Note: We participate in E-Verify. Upon hire, we will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S. This role is required to work from the contiguous United States. Unfortunately, we are unable to sponsor visas at this time.
If you need assistance or reasonable accommodation in applying for any of these positions, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org. We want to ensure you have the ability to apply for any position at Agile Six.
Please read and respond to the application questions carefully. Interviews are conducted on a rolling basis until the position has been filled.