Varo is an entirely new kind of bank. All digital, mission driven, FDIC insured, and designed for the way our customers live their lives.
We're on a mission to bring financial inclusion and opportunity to all hard-working Americans. Through our mobile app, we offer premium bank accounts that have no minimum balance requirement or monthly account fees, high-interest savings accounts, short term lending and solutions to help customers stretch their paycheck, build credit and start saving. Our tech-first products are designed to make money work for everyone and help customers and communities build greater financial resiliency.
Varo is distinct from other fintechs: we've made history as the first and only consumer fintech to be granted a full national bank charter by the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC).
Varo Bank represents the evolution of a new generation of banks that are born from innovation and built on technology to empower consumers and businesses.
Our team combines the best of both consumer tech and banking, and we’re wildly passionate about helping our customers. Our teams are based in San Francisco and Salt Lake City. Privately held, we’ve raised over $482M to date, from leading institutional investors and strategic partners including Warburg Pincus, The Rise Fund, Gallatin Point Capital, Harbourvest Partners, Progressive Insurance, and Russell Westbrook Enterprises.
Varo is entrepreneurial, collaborative, enthusiastic, customer-oriented, fast-paced, and multicultural. This is an open and relatively flat organization that puts an emphasis on collaboration, sharing ideas and information. For a relatively early stage company, Varo is grounded in a strong set of values and takes pride in the diversity of its employees and board.
Varo. A bank for all of us.
ABOUT THE RISK TEAM
Varo’s Risk Team team is committed to building a new world of banking for our customers in a sustainable and compliant way. We focus on Varo’s culture and risk management structure, which ensures delivering exceptional products while ensuring compliance with applicable consumer protection laws, regulations and regulatory guidance.
Within Risk, the Compliance Department focuses on end-to-end management of products and services through our Compliance Management Program--which follows the requirements of the OCC’s Compliance Management System handbook. We are committed to continuous improvement and working proactively with our Marketing, Growth, Product, and Operations clients to provide timely, proactive advice related to new products, marketing, advertising, complaints, disputes, and operating procedures. We help our business partners grow and succeed by providing the right advice in a timely manner.
The Senior Compliance Associate-Marketing will demonstrate deep knowledge and experience in multiple disciplines, including consumer protection and lending laws and regulations, marketing regulations, and UDAAP/UDAP principles. This is a great opportunity to join a growing compliance and risk management team in the first all-digital bank to receive a national banking charter.
ABOUT THE SENIOR COMPLIANCE ASSOCIATE ROLE
We’re looking for a Senior Compliance Associate-Marketing who has a growth mindset, is a self-starter, enjoys a fast-paced working environment, has a handle on consumer compliance and marketing regulations in a financial services environment, and enjoys working creatively to solve business problems in a compliant manner. You’ll be working in the “second line of defense” in our “three lines of defense” risk strategy.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Collaborate with Marketing and Product teams to understand new products to review advertising and marketing materials for compliance with applicable laws, including Reg DD, Reg Z, Privacy laws including TCPA, and UDAAP.
- Collaborate with Marketing on development and maintenance of the Marketing Guide, operates as the Bank’s style guide for marketing and advertising materials, and documents regulatory requirements.
- Review and edit marketing and advertising copy for social media, print, billboards, radio, TV, and marketing partnerships to ensure compliance with applicable regulations, including Reg DD, Reg Z, UDAAP/UDAP, FCRA, TCPA, etc.
- Assist in reviewing and editing responses to regulatory agency complaints, and spot opportunities for process improvements.
- Help build consumer compliance into marketing procedures and processes. Participate in the development of the Marketing Content Management system.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE THAT'LL HELP YOU BE GREAT
- J.D. preferred
- Experience in regulatory and consumer compliance in the Banking/ FinTech Space
- A passion for and dedication to detail
- Experience managing multiple projects, in a fast-paced, high volume environment
- Able to adapt to quick changes in direction and possess a growth
- Demonstrate a strong sense of ownership and thought-leadership
- A very high level of intellectual curiosity; driven to use technology to solve compliance challenges
THE THREE SKILLS THAT MATTER MOST
Nobody can be great at everything, but we're looking for candidates who are extraordinary at:
- Cooperation and teamwork in a technology environment
- Regulatory knowledge and interpretation skills
- Great writing skills-crafting solutions
OTHER NICE TO HAVES
- A passion for doing the right thing for the customer
- Great at conflict resolution
- Enjoy a collaborative team environment
- Enjoy working with the Google Suite
Varo is entrepreneurial, collaborative, enthusiastic, customer-oriented, fast-paced, and multicultural. This is an open and relatively flat organization that puts an emphasis on collaboration, sharing ideas and information. For a relatively early stage company, Varo is grounded in a strong set of values and takes pride in the diversity of its employees.
OUR CORE VALUES
Customers First: Understand the problems our customers are trying to solve. Respond with a sense of urgency. Build relationships that result in loyalty. Be data and insights-driven. Test everything. Achieve results through strong execution. Build a product people love. Assess new initiatives with the customers’ interest in mind. Act with empathy.
Take Ownership: Bias towards action. Have high standards. Be accountable for the results of your work, our product, our company. Trust others to own it.
Respect: Treat others how you want to be treated. Listen first before being heard. Speak the truth even when it's not easy. Assume best intentions. Bring your full self to work.
Stay Curious: Ask why. Dare to make things better. Learn something new each day (even from mistakes). Be open to growth. Develop creative solutions.
Make it Better: Think big. Set high goals. Work towards long term value rather than short term wins. Create change. Be resilient.
Varo is an equal opportunity employer. Varo embraces diversity and we are committed to building teams that represent a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
Learn more about Varo by following us:
Beware of fraudulent job postings!
Varo will never ask for payment to process documents, refer you to a third party to process applications or visas, or ask you to pay costs. Never send money to anyone suggesting they can provide work with Varo. If you suspect you have received a phony offer, please e-mail [email protected]
with the pertinent information and contact information.