Pivotal is the leader in the emerging market of electric Vertical Takeoff and Landing (eVTOL) aircraft. We design, develop, and manufacture light eVTOL aircraft and are renowned for the BlackFly, the first light eVTOL to fly manned missions and enter the consumer market.
Efficient, compact, and simple, Pivotal vehicles are designed for a wide range of consumer, public service, and defense applications. Our distinctive tilt-aircraft architecture and scalable platform have been in development, preparing to enter the market for over 10 years. We recently announced our next-generation aircraft, the Helix, planned for general release and scalable production in January 2024.
Mobility is one of the most highly-valued areas of technology investment today. This is the right company, in the right space, the right strategy, at the right time. We invite you to join our amazing team and grow with us.
- Lead the design and development of composite structures and components for eVTOL aircraft, focusing on structural integrity, operator experience and weight optimization
- Utilize CAD software and other design tools to create detailed models and drawings for composite, plastic and metal parts, ensuring accuracy and compliance with engineering specifications
- Collaborate closely with cross-functional teams including stress engineers, manufacturing, and aerodynamics to optimize composite structures for performance and manufacturability
- Conduct feasibility studies and trade-off analyses to evaluate various composite materials, manufacturing processes, and design concepts
- Drive innovation by implementing advanced composite design methodologies, considering emerging materials and manufacturing technologies
- Perform structural analysis and validation in collaboration with stress engineers, ensuring designs meet safety, regulatory, and certification requirements
- Mentor and guide junior engineers, fostering a culture of continuous learning and excellence within the team
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, or a related field
- 8+ years of hands-on experience in composite design and development within the aerospace, aviation or automotive industry
- Proficiency in CAD software (CATIA V6 preferable) for composite design and modeling
- Strong understanding of composite materials, manufacturing processes, and their application in aerospace structures
- Knowledge of composite design principles, laminate theory, and structural analysis methods
- Ability to collaborate effectively in cross-functional teams and communicate complex technical concepts clearly
- Experience with eVTOL or other electric aircraft
- Knowledge of industry standards and regulations related to composite structures in aerospace (e.g., FAA, EASA)
- Master's degree in Mechanical Engineering or a related field
- Passion for aviation and technology
- Proven track record of delivering results
- Strong team player with the ability to collaborate effectively with cross-functional teams
- Strong sense of ownership and accountability
Applicants must be eligible for employment in the United States and willing to work onsite at our HQ office in Palo Alto, CA.
Pivotal offers a comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, and 401k plans.
Pivotal is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Pivotal does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.