When someone asks you for directions, are they often relieved by how clearly you’ve explained where to go? When you’re the lead writer on a project, is the information architecture as important to you as the words themselves? Is it a good day when you’ve learned something new?
If you answered “Yes!” to the above, we’d love to meet you.
On our fast-growing Content Strategy team, we’re seeking a Senior Content Strategist to take the lead on our new “Home Services” product. You’ll help your cross-functional partners determine the right message to serve up via the right channel, at the right time.
A typical day for you may look like diving into competitive research. Or putting together a content model so your designer has a “blueprint” to work with. Or maybe you’ll lean into a content matrix, so your team has a source of truth for all the messaging that exists across the product experience.
And in this role, you’ll also get the chance to manage and coach a team of your own. To start, you’ll take on 2 direct reports, with the opportunity to grow your team.
An ideal candidates is not only a strategic thinker, but also a sought-after collaborator, strong UX writer, and detail-oriented manager who works well in entrepreneurial environments. If you’ve ever been called “tenacious” or a “UX evangelist,” that’s a plus: We’re a small team in a big org, and you’ll be relied on to consistently, persuasively advocate for best-in-class messaging on behalf of our customers.
What you’ll do:
- Lead the content strategy for our new Home Services product
- Execute on deliverables like competitive research, content audits, content models, and content matrices
- Write clear, compelling messaging and drive the strategy for new feature development
- Ensure consistent messaging across platforms (app, mobile web, desktop)
- Carry the Wayfair brand voice through multiple channels, while driving product-specific tone and style standards
- Work cross-functionally with product designers (UX/UI), product managers, engineers, and marketers, working collaboratively to make the customer journey as user-friendly as possible
- Demonstrate a strong understanding of how customers interact with our product, and use data to determine how to solve customer problems -- and make our messaging even more compelling
Desired skills & experience:
- A bachelor’s degree in English, journalism, library science, communications, marketing, or a related field
- 5+ years of professional content strategy or copywriting experience for consumers and consumer brands (e-commerce experience is a big plus)
- A portfolio that demonstrates strong writing and conversation-mapping skills, as well as a deep understanding of how to identify user problems
- Experience driving content strategy deliverables, such as content audits, inventories, and matrices
- A collaborative work style and the ability to think holistically—understanding how design and content strategy work together to provide customers with a consistent end-to-end message
- Strong multi-tasking, time-management, leadership, and organizational skills
- A motivated, self-starter attitude with demonstrated ability to push independent and team projects to completion
Note: Please be able to provide 2-3+ examples and samples of your content writing work or a portfolio. We are looking for examples that demonstrate your content strategy and thinking process.