ABOUT THRIVE MARKET
Thrive Market was founded in 2014 with a mission to make healthy living easy and affordable for everyone. As an online, membership-based market, we deliver the highest quality healthy and sustainable products at member-only prices, while matching every paid membership with a free one for someone in need. Every day, we leverage innovative technology and member-first thinking to help our over 900,000 members find better products, support better brands, and build a better world in the process.
Based in Marina Del Rey, CA, Thrive Market is recruiting for a Corporate Counsel or Senior Corporate Counsel reporting directly to the VP of Legal. The Counsel will be an experienced generalist who can manage the day-to-day legal needs of the company. The Legal department covers a wide breadth of functions, including legal, regulatory, investor relations, insurance/risk management and crisis management. Among other things, the ideal candidate will possess sound legal and business judgment, be a team player, be able to tackle complex issues constructively and apply a results-oriented approach to get things done. The ideal candidate will also exhibit an ability to balance legal and business perspectives so as not to interfere with the flow of the business, have a roll-up your sleeves attitude, and have a proven track record in drafting and negotiating contracts in tech or food space. This person will be expected to be embraced by their business counterparts as an indispensable part of their team. The person will have access to outside counsel when necessary, as well as access to various legal learning tools such as Practical Law/Westlaw and Practical Law Institute (PLI).
- Counsel Merchandising, Tech, IT/Security, Business Development, Marketing, Member Services, People, and other teams on legal and regulatory issues related to e-commerce & food/grocery, trademarks, marketing, and consumer protection
- Draft and negotiate a wide range of commercial deals, including SaaS agreements, supplier agreements, equipment agreements, advertising and promotional agreements, and other commercial agreements.
- Manage company-wide privacy and data protection compliance processes in partnership with other cross-functional teams, including conducting data mapping reviews, rolling-out internal- and external-facing notices and policies, and managing and advising on internal compliance procedures
- Implement process improvement or compliance programs for different departments to ensure Thrive Market platforms (app & website) are compliant with applicable laws, including, but not limited to areas such as FTC and state and local consumer protection considerations
- Support legal needs for our two fulfillments centers in Indiana and Nevada, from employment law matters to equipment leasing or purchase agreements
- Provide support compliance and legal needs of Thrive Gives, our charitable giving group, that focuses on making positive impacts on our community through promotion of food equality and social-economic causes
- Provide support for Investor Relations functions, including administering equity option program, handling share transfers and responding to investor queries
- The role may also require management of outside counsel.
- Minimum 4-8 years of combined relevant experience in a law firm and/or in-house legal department, ideally in e-commerce, food & beverage, DTC or other areas
- Significant experience advising on legal and regulatory considerations in the technology space, ideally with a focus on FTC advertising or privacy and data protection frameworks (e.g., CCPA, Privacy Shield, etc.) and consumer protection
- A team player mindset (no job is too big or too small)
- Sound legal and business judgment and commercial approach to legal issues
- Desire to learn and work in face-paced and entrepreneurial environment
- Being comfortable with the unknowns
- Service-minded mentality, while still managing to protect the company interests
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision, while strong enough to ask for support when needed and ensure VP of Legal/executive visibility on key issues
- Attention to detail, problem-solving approach
- Experience working with teams cross-functionally and across time zones
- Ability to multitask and re-prioritize based on changing needs
- A passion for food, DTC business, or e-commerce
- Expertise in any of these specific areas a plus: marketing compliance, employment, trademarks, employee compensation or privacy
- People management experience a plus although not required
BELONG TO A BETTER COMPANY
- Comprehensive health benefits (medical, dental, vision, life and disability)
- Dog Friendly Office
- On-site Yoga
- 401k plan
- Stocked kitchenLunch provided 5 days per week
- Free Thrive Market membership and discount on private label products
Thrive Market is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBTQ employer
At Thrive Market, our goal is to be a diverse and inclusive work place that is representative, at all job levels, of the members we serve and the communities we operate in. We’re proud to be an inclusive company and an Equal Opportunity Employer and we prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind. We believe that diversity and inclusion among our teammates is critical to our success as a company, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. If you’re thinking about joining our team, we expect that you would agree!
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please contact us at (424) 291-9534 and we’ll be happy to assist you.
© Thrive Market 2020 All rights reserved.