About Sequoia Consulting Group
Sequoia Consulting Group is a tech-enabled consulting and services company that provides benefits, HR, payroll, and risk management solutions for people-driven employers with 20 to 20,000 employees. The Sequoia People Platform centralizes workforce data and helps companies navigate complex issues so they can maximize their investment in people, whether they are in office, distributed, or global. For two decades, Sequoia has been working with companies to balance the needs of their business with the needs of their people.
Sequoia has offices in the San Francisco Bay Area, New York, Tempe, and Bangalore. Visit Sequoia.com
or follow us on LinkedIn
to learn more.
The Senior Corporate Counsel, Privacy will be responsible for advising on and driving projects involving privacy and data protection across all business lines. This newly created position will serve as the primary legal liaison to Sequoia’s data, engineering and technology groups and will partner closely with the company’s compliance and security disciplines. The Senior Corporate Counsel will be the resource to not only drive policy creation and adherence, but also to engage deeply in transactional work involving an ever-growing ecosystem of partnerships requiring data integration and data flows. As such, the Senior Corporate Counsel, Privacy, will be a highly visible role spanning both business and governance.
The successful candidate will be a currently-practicing privacy attorney with the ability to conduct primary research and analysis, draft memoranda, drive commercial contracts, and to advise both verbally and in writing on a wide range of operational matters involving privacy, security, CCPA, GDPR, HIPAA and other regulatory regimes. Over time, depending on interest and capabilities, the Senior Corporate Counsel can develop into a broad generalist by becoming involved in an array of Sequoia’s legal activities.
The Senior Corporate Counsel, Privacy, will report directly to the Chief Legal & Administrative Officer.
- Serve as the primary legal advisor on privacy and related regulatory matters.
- Continue to build out and support all aspects of our privacy compliance framework that scales with the company.
- Partner with data, engineering and product teams to provide actionable advice to minimize legal risks while advancing business goals and objectives.
- Draft external privacy notices and disclosures and internal policies and procedures to ensure compliance with global privacy laws.
- Evaluate data protection terms in contracts, marketing materials, and policies.
- Monitor and digest developments in privacy and data protection laws and regulations, key judgments, and regulatory guidance to help determine impact for the business and set risk tolerance approach.
- Partner with colleagues on the Legal team to provide effective product counseling and help complete commercial transactions including privacy-related provisions.
- Act as the primary lawyer to structure, negotiate and document strategic data partnerships.
- Bachelor’s degree and JD from an accredited law school required.
- Current member in good standing of the Bar in a U.S. state.
- 8 – 12+ years of experience in law firm and/or in-house data protection and privacy functions
- Domain expertise in state, federal and international privacy laws, including CCPA, GDPR and preferably HIPAA.
- Strong facility and comfort with SaaS, software, and/or identifying data flows and documenting data flow maps is a strong plus.
- Strong leadership and project management skills with demonstrated ability to manage details and the big picture.
- Highly collaborative and enjoys training and working on projects with others while still being able to work independently and take ownership
- Excellent oral and written communications skills.
Sequoia’s Culture – Our most important asset
Passion for service
Caring for others
Focused on relationship building
Sequoia Consulting Group provides equal opportunity to all applicants without regard to race, color, creed, religion, citizenship, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy, marital status, military or veteran status, disability, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
Sequoia provides competitive compensation including base salary, performance based bonus programs, and comprehensive benefits package including 401(k) matching.
To work in our offices, our employees must be fully vaccinated against Covid-19 in accordance with CDC guidelines. Remote work options may be available. We will accommodate disabilities or sincerely held religious beliefs, to the extent required under applicable law.