Hi, we’re Canary… a NYC-based startup that helps people connect to their family, their community and their home in new ways. Our first product is an award-winning, all-in-one home security device that makes it easy to not just see, but understand what’s happening in your home from anywhere.
We’re growing rapidly and we’re seeking an innovative and entrepreneurial patent attorney to join our team. The role entails owning the continued development and implementation of our IP strategy by working closely with our engineering and product teams to identify and properly protect our inventions. The role also includes supporting regular business transactions, as well as other transactional and risk management activities. This position reports directly to the General Counsel.
What you’ll do:
- Provide practical legal advice and support across many business functions, including our marketing, engineering and product teams for domestic and international operations.
- Develop and maintain a comprehensive strategy to identify, capture and protect innovative activities within the company, including patentable inventions, trade secrets and other confidential information.
- Drive strategy and implementation of the company’s global privacy and security architecture, policies, and procedures, including oversight of notice and consent requirements, privacy compliance, vendor due diligence and negotiating related security clauses in agreements; advise on data breach incident response planning and cross border data transfer issues.
- Together with outside counsel, prepare trademark applications and manage the trademark portfolio.
- Participate in the definition and development of corporate policies, procedures and programs, providing counsel and guidance on all legal matters through the development of systems, form documents, best practices and employee training.
- Manage pre-litigation claims, and engage in dispute resolution and other risk management activities.
- Advise product managers and engineering team on IP issues during product development lifecycle for hardware and software products.
- Draft and negotiate agreements where creation of new IP raises significant business issues.
- Assign and manage outside counsel activities and budgets related to IP work.
What You'll Need to Have:
- J.D. from top law school.
- Admitted to practice and in good standing with the New York State bar.
- Bachelor’s degree in EE, CS or a related field, or significant, demonstrated software and/or hardware experience.
At least 6 years of directly relevant experience, including time at a top law firm and/or in-house experience at a high-growth technology company.
- Experience managing IP capture, harvesting, categorization, prioritization and protection.
- Experience working with in-house IP processes at a technology company.
- Experience preparing and filing U.S. patent applications.
- The ability to thrive in a dynamic, entrepreneurial environment while managing multiple priorities and deadlines.
- The ability to communicate effectively with a variety of contacts, including outside counsel, senior management and business partners. You can lead internal trainings, talk to external partners and represent Canary publicly with ease.
- Strong business acumen and ability to advise on business-related legal issues.
- Exceptional drafting and communication skills; ability to convey legal advice clearly and effectively.
- Excellent legal and practical judgment with strong problem solving skills.
- Results-oriented and able to perform under pressure with demonstrated time management skills.
What Should Your Cover Letter Include?
Consider telling us about one or more of the following:
- Tell us about your experience running projects and owning the outcome. Be specific! We want to know what this means to you, and why.
- What is the most interesting element of our business to you, and why? How will you impact it?
- Based on what you can learn about our business from publicly-available information, what do you think are the 1-2 most important legal/IP-related issues we face and why? What would you do about them?
A Little About Us:
We’re Canary, a New York City-based startup that believes the best technology makes you smarter, puts you in control, and gives you access to the information you need. That’s why we’re dedicated to developing easy-to-use technology that protects, empowers, and has a meaningful impact on people, families, and their communities.
Our first product made Indiegogo history as the most successful connected home crowdfunded product ever, and has proven that there’s a real demand for a simple, intelligent, all-in-one home security device. We think it’s because Canary does more than protect your home; it gives people control, connects them to their loved ones, and helps them hold on to the moments that matter.
We're looking for brilliant, talented people who love toppling giants, working autonomously in small teams, solving challenging problems, and developing real solutions for everyday use. If that sounds like you, come join us and help us make the world feel safe and secure.
What can we give you?
- Comprehensive health insurance.
- Daily catered lunch.
- Flexible work hours.
- Unlimited vacation.
- Reimbursement for commuter costs.
- A beautiful and industrial office space.