Type 2 diabetes has become a global epidemic; in the UK, we spend £9 billion a year alone (that’s 10% of the NHS budget) on treating this. What’s shocking is most of this is preventable – through sustained lifestyle and behaviour change.
Enter Second Nature.
We’re here to help people take control of their health. By bringing together behavioural science, technology, and incredible people, our grand mission is to eradicate the global epidemic of chronic lifestyle diseases once and for all.
We closed our Series A fundraising round last December (Dec 2019). We have a team of 95 people (mostly UK based), which will continue to expand over the coming years.
We’re now looking for bright, impactful and empathetic Data Engineers to join our Data & Data Science team and help engineer solutions to this epidemic.
You’ll architect and build analytics features that support the entire company. You’ll work closely with areas across the business to understand data problems and build solutions to them. You’ll help shape the future of the analytics team including how we work. You’ll mentor junior engineers as one of the technical leaders in the team. You’ll leave your mark on our engineering culture with your technical leadership. You will keep growing yourself.
Who are you?
- You have 4+ years of data engineering experience
- You have experience building and scaling business critical data analytics solutions, including data modelling/design
- You have experience building, maintaining and testing data pipelines
- You have hands-on experience developing an AWS based Data & Analytics Platform
- You want to help build a world-class analytics team that supports a product that changes people’s lives
- You take ownership of projects from inception to deployment
- You are thorough and take pride in your work
- You appreciate data and software design as a craft but make pragmatic decisions when needed
- You adapt and enjoy the ride in a fast-changing start up environment
- You are empathetic, thoughtful and dedicated
- You never stop learning
As a bonus, we’d love it if you tick any of these boxes:
- You have experience working with the managed MongoDB service Atlas
- You have DevOps experience including:
- continuous deployment processes for analytics purposes
- monitoring production infrastructure and applications
And, if you’re interested, this is our current product’s tech stack:
- React Native for iOS and Android apps
- Node.js + Express for our API servers
- MongoDB our main database
- Next.js for our web frontend
- You can see the impact your work is having on improving thousands of people’s lives and tackling the obesity epidemic on a daily basis
- You’ll get to work with amazing, friendly, smart colleagues all incredibly passionate about solving the type 2 diabetes epidemic
- You’ll have autonomy and responsibility for your work direction
- Currently the entire team is working predominantly from home, but we've always offered a flexible working environment where you can work from home when you need to and would continue to do this in future
- We have regular company-sponsored socials (pub drinks, team dinners, board games and movie nights) - currently this is all remote but will hopefully be back to normal soon!
You can find out more about working with us here.