We are notonthehighstreet.
We’re home to 5,000 phenomenal small creative businesses that we are proud to call our Partners. But, now more than ever, this community needs our support. So we’re doing all we can to shine a light on these dynamic entrepreneurs, waving the flag for small businesses and generally championing their socks off.
On top of our brilliant Partners, products and customers (not to mention our incredible team who have been busy beavering away from home since March), the last 12 months has seen great progress with our tech platform and customer experience. We are now looking to build on this momentum to drive our business to the next level. And that’s where you come in.
What we need
We’re looking for a Data Scientist to join our team to help us and our Partners continue to grow by using machine learning to improve the user experience of our site and our marketing.
Reporting into the Head of Data, you and the other members of the Data Science team will collaborate with multidisciplinary groups variously composed of Software Engineers, Product Managers, UX Designers and Digital Marketeers to help develop solutions to user experience challenges and marketing opportunities.
Some of the Things You’ll Be Doing
- Finding relevant products for different customers is an important goal for us. You’ll help us solve this problem by making predictions about customers’ tastes based on historical purchase patterns
- Last-click marketing attribution models don’t make sense for multi-device and multi-session user journeys so we need to do better. You’ll build advanced attribution models that identify our highest ROI marketing activity so we can target our spend more efficiently.
- We need to be able to optimise our site scientifically. A/B testing is a good start, but we need you to push the envelope with more sophisticated and efficient approaches such as multi-armed bandits
- We believe developing people’s skills is critical. As a senior data scientist, you’ll be responsible for managing and developing junior members of the Data Science team
- The data science team has several stakeholders, and we need to ensure that new work is identified early and managed efficiently. You’ll collaborate with product and marketing teams to identify, design, and iteratively improve relevant workflows and processes.
- In several functions across the business, we’re reliant on tools that include some sort of machine learning component. You’ll help non-technical stakeholders make the most of those tools by making informed recommendations. You’ll also help promote ML and educate people on how to spot problems that can be solved using it
What we need…
- Several years of commercial experience, or postgraduate experience with at least one year of commercial experience, in which you have implemented both unsupervised and supervised machine learning techniques using large data sets
- Expertise in one or more of the following areas: recommender systems, search, text mining, reinforcement learning, attribution models
- At least two years experience with the typical Python machine learning stack (numpy, SciPy, pandas, scikit-learn etc.)
- A sound understanding of the mathematical foundations of your methods (calculus, linear algebra, statistics, probability)
- Excellent SQL skills
- Experience presenting your work to, and gathering requirements from, non-technical stakeholders
…and some other key skills & experience you’ll ideally have
- Experience working in marketplace ecommerce businesses
- Implementation of cloud-based ML solutions
- Mentoring junior team members or graduates
- Using R
- Applying deep learning techniques
- Statistical/probabilistic knowledge of hypothesis (A/B) testing
- Writing good quality code which is designed to be reusable, testable and automatically deployable
- Agile/Lean working practices
It’s important to us that our people are well looked after, which is why we offer everyone BUPA healthcare, life insurance and a pension plan. Because having a break is important for your physical and mental wellbeing, our holiday allowance is 25 days (plus bank holidays) AND your entitlement increases an extra day for every 2 years you spend with us.
The team spirit at NOTHS House is legendary, and while we all miss the in-office massages, hair cuts and the abundance of free fruit, we’ve taken to our virtual world with gusto and bring the team together regularly for socials and of course the odd Zoom quiz!
We endeavour to support our people to make sure work….well, works for them. And the pretty big issue of the recent global pandemic has propelled us into working more flexibly than ever before. With the office closed until further notice (at least until government social distancing advice has changed), we’re using the lessons learnt over this period to evolve our approach to flexible working whilst ensuring we all still get together as one #teamnoths
Diversity and Inclusion
Everyone’s welcome at notonthehighstreet – whoever they are, wherever their background.
As part of your application you’ll be asked to complete a demographic survey to help us learn more about who wants to work with us. It’s completely optional (but really appreciated) and it’s 100% anonymous. We’ll only use the information to help us figure out how to make our team even more inclusive and attract more brilliant people to join us, with the help of our cross-team Diversity Champions to drive progress.
Apply to join #teamnoths
We’d love to hear more about you, your experience and why you’d like to join our team.
For now, our recruitment and induction processes are fully remote, taking advantage of the wonders of modern-day technology. If you are successful in your initial application we’ll explain more about next steps, as this can vary slightly from role to role. Good luck!