Coursera is a leading online learning platform for higher education, where 68 million learners from around the world come to learn skills of the future. More than 200 of the world’s top universities and industry educators partner with Coursera to offer courses, Specializations, certificates, and degree programs. 2,800 companies trust the company’s enterprise platform Coursera for Business to transform their talent. Coursera for Government equips government employees and citizens with in-demand skills to build a competitive workforce. Coursera for Campus empowers any university to offer high-quality, job-relevant online education to students, alumni, faculty, and staff. Coursera is backed by leading investors that include Kleiner Perkins, New Enterprise Associates, Learn Capital, and SEEK Group.
At Coursera, our Data Science team is helping to build the future of education through data-powered products and data-driven decisions. In Machine Learning, we define, develop, and launch the models and algorithms that power content discovery, personalized learning, and machine-assisted teaching and grading. In Decision Science, we drive product and business strategy through measurement, experimentation, and causal inference. We believe the next generation of teaching and learning should be personalized, accessible, and efficient. With our scale, data, technology, and talent, Coursera and its Data Science team are positioned to make that vision a reality.
We are looking for a creative, collaborative, and computationally strong Senior Data Scientist, Machine Learning help build data products to support learners throughout their in-course journey on Coursera. This will include classifying and triaging student questions, building machine-assisted grading solutions, and automating the generation of helpful learning resources. Many of these products will involve heavy usage of NLP techniques on text data found in lecture transcripts, assignment submissions, and forum threads. Our ideal candidate has end-to-end data product experience, including identification of user-facing machine learning opportunities, collaboration with cross-functional product teams, and in-production deployment to bring products to life. It is also crucial that a candidate is impact-driven and shares our passion for education.
- Ideate, prototype, and productionize the machine learning algorithms that power Coursera’s learning experience, especially in-course student support (question-and-answering service, machine-assisted grading, plagiarism detection, service ticket classification)
- Partner with product to identify and articulate opportunities, drive data product adoption, and build efficient and scalable insights and data products
- Design, implement and deploy end-to-end machine learning / deep learning pipelines and models with cloud services (e.g., AWS Sagemaker)
- Distill insights from complex data and/or data product results; communicate findings clearly to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Develop metrics to evaluate data product performance and drive improvements.
- 3+ years experience with NLP, classification, and predictive modeling in production environments
- Demonstrated ability to identify opportunities for machine learning to improve existing systems
- Solid background in machine learning frameworks like TensorFlow, PyTorch, Scikit Learn, etc.
- Knowledge of software development tools like Git, CI/CD, Docker, etc.
- Strong project management and cross-functional collaboration skills
- Excellent problem solving, critical thinking, analytical and interpersonal skills
- Proficient with relational databases and SQL
- 2+ years of work experience in deployment and scaling of Machine Learning and Deep Learning algorithms on AWS cloud services (Sagemaker, Lambda, Cloudwatch, etc.)
- Experience with model lifecycle management, testable code and shipping code into production
- Proficient with large-scale distributed databases (e.g., Spark)
- Experience with online controlled experimentation
- MS or above
If this opportunity interests you, you might like these courses on Coursera:
Coursera is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and considers all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital status, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected class.
If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process, please contact us at [email protected]