Near is the world's largest source of intelligence on people and places, processing data from over 1.6 billion monthly users across 44 countries. TheNear Platform powers data-driven marketing and enrichment offerings through a suite of SaaS products. The users of the platform can leverage audience, spatial, retail, among other data in a privacy-led environment.
Founded in 2012, Near is headquartered in Singapore with offices in California, New York, London, Paris, Bangalore, Tokyo, and Sydney. Today, marquee brands such as News Corp work with Near to provide enhanced customer experiences. Near is backed by leading investors including Sequoia Capital, JP Morgan Private Equity Group, Cisco Investments, Telstra Ventures, and Greater Pacific Capital.
THE OPPORTUNITY: SENIOR DATA SCIENTIST
Our Data Scientists are a highly collaborative team that works closely with the Near Product, Engineering, and Analytics Teams to develop novel algorithmic approaches for contextualizing location data, evaluation of data from potential business partners, as well as managing data optimization from advertising data sources, and analysis of bidding data from mobile app monetization. We are the champions and guardians of Near's data.
We embrace the hacker ethos of “Worse is better” in that we deploy solutions early and often in an iterative process of improvement. UM is a high-speed operation – all good startups are – and you can’t expect to take a project and disappear for a week or months. We really mean it when we say this is a collaborative role.
This role is best for a person with a few years of experience in a quantitative role, who is capable of independent work, and who wants to grow in experience and skills. You should be comfortable speaking and presenting in front of others or willing to work to become so. The ideal candidate for this position will be proficient and experienced in scripting languages and have rapid prototyping skills. Other language experience should include one or more of SQL, Perl, Hadoop, Hive, R, or related languages.
A Day in the Life:
- Identify valuable data sources and automate collection processes
- Undertake preprocessing of structured and unstructured data
- Analyze large amounts of information to discover trends and patterns
- Build predictive models and machine-learning algorithms
- Combine models through ensemble modeling
- Present information using data visualization techniques
- Propose solutions and strategies to business challenges
- Collaborate with engineering and product development teams
What you bring to the role:
- 4+ years of experience in a quantitative role
- Master's degree (or higher) in Statistics Machine Learning, Mathematics, Computer Science, Economics, or any other related quantitative field, or relevant work experience
- Familiarity with geographic data and information systems is required
- Experience with spatial and geographic processing Python modules such as Shapely, Cartopy,
- GeoPandas and others are expected
- Familiarity with Perl, R, SQL, Hadoop, Hive, Spark, and/or Athena is required
- Knowledge of GeoJSON, ESRI Shapefile, KML, or other spatial data formats is a plus
- Knowledge of Amazon’s EMR tooling is a major plus
- Experience with geographic visualization frameworks such as Tableau, Carto, or Mapbox is a plus
- Knowledge of desktop GIS like ArcGIS, QGIS, or GRASS is a plus
- Our daily work languages are Python and SQL/HQL with a little R & C - but we’re not dogmatic – languages and libraries are tools and we use the right tool for the job.
**We are also looking for a Data Scientists with 2+ years of experience! The job responsibilities are similar, so if you are interested, please apply to this link and we'll chat about the role that's a good fit for you.**