Venmo was founded on the principles of breaking down the intimidating barriers around financial transactions to make them intuitive, friendly, and even fun. And it worked: people love sending money with Venmo, and we’re growing by leaps and bounds!
But we’re only just getting started. We want to take that magic of sending money with Venmo and cascade it into every place where people use money. That means connecting people to their money in the most intuitive and fun way possible, then connecting people with each other. Users already love Venmo, but we know there are lots of things we haven’t thought of to make the experience of using Venmo even more delightful and valuable. All that’s going to take a lot of figuring out. Let’s figure it out together!
Engineering at Venmo
At Venmo, we are creating a product that people love. We strive to create a delightful user experience while connecting the world and empowering people through payments. We are looking for intellectually curious people who want to be inspired and inspire others to change the world.
Engineering is a craft, and at Venmo we want the internals of our software to be as elegant as the end user experience we are designing. We spend our days scaling our infrastructure and building new features to meet and exceed our user’s needs and wants. We teach and learn from one another, and push each other to be at our creative and analytical bests.
The MySQL DBA will be responsible for maintaining a complex replication environment, monitoring database servers for daily maintenance, capacity planning and recommendations for performance improvements. The ideal candidate will be able to analyze the current environment and designing a workable HA solution to maintain a 365x24x7 uptime. The candidate will either identify or build tools to assist in the management of the database and transactional processing environment. The candidate will be responsible for supporting development, quality assurance, and production LAMP environments.
What We're Looking For
- Demonstrated exceptional database design and SQL programming skills to perform data troubleshooting and data manipulation tasks
- Experience working with InnoDB, Blackhole, Partition, and other table types
- Expertise with MYSQL replication
- Experience with AWS Aurora replication
- Experience with MYSQL performance tuning and optimization. Query optimization, index tuning, caching and buffer tuning
- Experience with query profiling, reviewing optimizer dump, data modeling and relational schema design.
- Ability to troubleshoot problems
- Solid understanding and experience in disaster recovery, planning, and implementation
- Experience with AWS Aurora backup and recovery process
- Knowledge or expertise creating scripts using bash or Python
- Must have hands-on experience in Linux
- Must be detailed oriented
- Ability to diagnose and resolve a broad range of technical problems
- Strong teamwork, and collaboration skills
- Strong communication skills are necessary for interaction with other teams and departments
- Daily monitoring of databases to identify potential issues within the environment
- Participate in on-call duties in response to automated alerts, customer contact, and support of the production database environment
- Ensure that the replication is up to date and to identify causes for delays and to recommend solutions
- Ensures the database environment is designed and managed to meet business and technical demands for availability, performance, and manageability
- Provide and maintain documentation of evolving database environment
- Participates in the creation of development, load test, and production database cluster
- Tunes the performance of all the development, quality assurance, and production database instances
- Performs back-up and recovery
- Plans and executes disaster recovery
- Able to perform data consistency check
- Must be able to work without direct supervision
- Be willing to learn and manage other databases. Venmo will provide training as needed
We know the confidence gap and imposter syndrome can get in the way of meeting spectacular candidates. Please don't hesitate to apply.