Afterpay is transforming the way we pay by allowing customers to receive products immediately and pay for their purchases over four installments, always interest-free. The service is completely free for customers who pay on time - helping people spend responsibly without incurring interest, fees or extended debt!
Afterpay is offered by more than 55,000 of the world’s best retailers and has more than 10 million active customers globally. In the U.S. more than 5 million customers use Afterpay and is offered by more than 15,000 of the top fashion and beauty retailers across the country - including Anthropologie, Forever 21, DSW, GOAT, Finish Line, Levi’s, Mac Cosmetics, Ray-Ban and many others. We are currently available in Australia, New Zealand, the United States and the United Kingdom where the brand is called Clearpay. Our U.S. headquarters are located at the heart of the retail and business district in San Francisco, California.
Afterpay is on a mission to power an economy in which everyone wins.
Afterpay’s ambition is to become the world’s favourite way to pay for what we call life’s little essentials – a new way of purchasing designed for and around our customers’ interests. We believe that great design has the ability to engage and inspire.
You will lead and mentor a team of designers through the end to end design process, from the discovery and definition of innovation opportunities through ideation and craft. You will be a strategic partner to product and technology stakeholders ensuring prioritization and delivery of key work streams through best in class, inclusive design processes.
Your focus will be the Afterpay “Consumer Experience” product area, working across Loyalty, Shopping and App Experience teams and their associated products and features. You will represent the needs and voice of the user, championing these needs with cross functional stakeholders to help prioritize planning.
The role requires a seasoned design leader and crafts person, with both leadership / management and hands on skills to guide designers to turn conceptual thinking into tangible solutions. You will encourage the team to iterate quickly and have responsibility for their designs all the way through hand off and delivery to engineering partners.
• Reporting to the VP, Design and sitting as part of the global design leadership team.
• Advocate for the “Consumer Experience” product design team internally to make sure they’re set up for success.
• Plan and build curated design programs to solve complex problems with design thinking and best in class product design delivery.
• Articulate constructive feedback and critique, ensure the design team is evaluated and supported on an ongoing basis.
• Involved in vetting, hiring, and training new members of the design team.
• Drive design quality, practice, and offerings that meet business and user goals.
• Own craft and capability output across key projects, ensuring each project deliverable is of the highest quality across the product area.
• Assess performance and provide career guidance and performance decisions for members of the Consumer Experience product design team.
• Provide directional oversight of individual project team’s work and assume overall accountability for it.
• Cultivate relationships with new and existing stakeholders across the business.
• Oversee contribution and participate in ongoing governance of our design system.
• Create scalable designs that cater for localisation.
• Be the subject matter expert for all consumer feature experiences.
• Minimum of 10+ years experience in the digital product design field.
• Experience creating environments where design teams can do high-quality, process driven work.
• Strength in leading, mentoring, and coaching a product design team having previously led a team of product designers.
• Well versed in facilitation techniques that enable groups to build clarity and alignment.
• Understanding of product management and product life-cycles.
Experience building and strengthening the multidisciplinary skillsets of a design team.
• Extensive knowledge and experience with driving and applying user-centered design processes while working collaboratively with customers, along with cross-functional teams including engineering, product management, and user research.
• Expert-level experience leading teams in UI/UX design.
• Familiar with all the common designer tools such as Figma.
• Highly proactive with exceptional communication and interpersonal skills.
What We Offer
• Competitive compensation packages
• Medical, Dental, Vision insurance (100% covered!)
• Fun virtual company events & collaborative team
• Supportive, laid-back environment
• Award winning culture
How to Apply
If you are brave, if you are committed to doing the right thing, if you always keep it real, and your background matches the description above then please apply today!
Afterpay is continuing to hire for all open roles with all interviewing and on-boarding done virtually due to COVID-19. All new team members, in addition to current staff, will temporarily work from home until it is safe to return to our offices.