Better is redefining homeownership and making it simpler, faster—and most importantly—more accessible for everyone. We leverage technology and expertise to find ways that we can make the homebuying journey more approachable and understandable.
- Right now we’re funding $1 billion in home loans per month
- We’ve funded over $9 billion in loans and $1 billion in insurance
- We ranked #11 on Fortune’s Best Places to Work in Financial Services 2020
- Our Founder and CEO was named in Comparably's Top 25 CEOs for Diversity
- We were listed to Forbes’ FinTech 50 2020
- And #964 on Inc.’s 2019 “5000 Fastest-Growing Companies”
- We’ve secured over $254 million from our investors to date
Our company is made up of driven, passionate people who bring their unique backgrounds and perspectives to everything we do and we are committed to fostering diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion. We see the perspectives that each person brings and a diverse workforce as essential for individual and collective success. We believe it’s important to foster a company culture that encourages curiosity and passion—from employee resource groups and learning opportunities to team outings and community outreach.
Senior Design Operations Manager
The Brand Design team is tasked with defining our visual identity and bringing it to life wherever people experience our brand with the goal of making Better a household name. As the Design Operations leader on this team, you'll ensure the Brand / Marketing team is a well oiled machine. This means helping the team function at high efficiency, low friction, and ensuring designers have what they need to be able to generate high-quality design outputs. We are a lean Design Ops team that supports and elevates design at Better, driving strategic initiatives and cultivating a thriving design community.
Reporting to our Director of Design Operations, the foundation of this role combines team operations, and program management. The projects you own will drive impact for our designers, supporting the day-to-day operations of our design team. You'll also help foster an internal design culture that is inclusive, educational, and collaborative.
What Design Ops handles
Workflow: How the design work flows throughout Better
Tools: Ensures the design team have the tools to get the job done
Governance: Who needs to see the work, and when
Infrastructure: What the team needs to work more efficiently
Budget: How much does running the design team cost, and why
Headcount: How many people are needed and with which skills
Pipeline: Ensures there's clarity on projects coming up and how well staffed the team is
Retention: How to make people want to stay
Education: What skills are missing and how to learn them
Evangelization: Help the company understand the value of design
What you’ll do
- Become the driving force of our design community at Better, working directly with design leadership on creating a strong design culture.
- Based on the current and changing needs of the design team, you will work on strategic projects that span Brand and Marketing.
- Define the scope and the resources that projects will need to get delivered, working across teams to handle stakeholder management
- Track and communicate progress across your projects, ensuring the teams are on track, facilitating decision-making, resolving blockers and surfacing challenges.
- Help drive context and visibility across the team, helping to break down internal silos.
- Develop new and support established programs to aid learning and inspiration
- Become an evangelist, advocate, and educator on behalf of our design team, elevating the team’s presence within the organization.
- Help onboard new designers to the team and seek innovative ways to ensure that all new employees have a great experience joining Better.
- Always be acutely aware of the team’s needs and provide feedback to our design leads in order to ensure all designers experience an enjoyable and balanced work environment.
- Enable continuous improvement during the projects, ensuring insights are captured, shared, and integrated.
- Build systems and processes that scale across the design discipline.
- Work with the Design Operations lead in Product Design to ensure a close relationship is maintained between the two teams. This will include developing and implementing process improvements for how work flows from one team to the other.
- Help develop process improvements for Design Operations as a whole.
Who you are
- You have 8+ years experience in a Design Operations or Program Management role working with a Design team, or equivalent experience as a Producer or Studio Manager at a design agency.
- 2+ years management experience.
- You have a real passion for working with people. Supporting and enabling them to do their best work.
- Experience in roles working on cultural/community building programs.
- Strong operational and facilitation skills, with a proven ability to plan, coordinate and execute projects.
- Clear, compelling presentation and communication style.
- You have an ability to work with multiple leadership styles, and can be effective in unstructured and ambiguous environments.
The Better mission is rooted in values that drive us.
- We do what’s in the best interest of the consumer, not ourselves
- We have growth mindsets, not fixed ones
- We believe that success lies in execution, not credentials
- We act like owners, not just employees
- We work to find answers on our own, not wait for them to be given to us
- We optimize for mission, not ego
Our mission speaks for itself—we continue to outpace the industry at every turn. We’ve recently joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank, and our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, Ally Bank, and others have invested in our vision for what homeownership can be.
Better is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, marital status, family or parental status, disability, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. All employment decisions at Better are based on a person’s merit, business needs, and role requirements.
Depending on your location, the California Consumer Privacy Act or other laws may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. For further information on how we collect data of job applicants, please click here. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required.