Intelligent Retail Lab (IRL) is part of Walmart's Store No.8, an innovation hub formed by the world's largest retailer focused on identifying and investing in trends and technologies reshaping the shopping experience.
IRL's mission is to create step change in-store experiences, leveraging emerging technology to help define and deliver on evolving customer expectations. Its success requires a cross-functional, mission-based team that is highly entrepreneurial, collaborative and passionate about solving the unsolved problems. As Walmart’s Applied Artificial Intelligence incubator, we work with the bleeding edge of technology to define the future of retail shopping.
As a DevOps Engineer you will be working with a range of technologies that power the platform and development of IRL. Through standards, best practices and choosing the right technologies we are looking to create a robust environment capable of moving at the speed IRL requires to remain on the forefront of innovation.
What you'll do:
- Design and implementation of our hybrid Data Center & Cloud based infrastructure to include provisioning, orchestration, configuration, deployment and monitoring.
- Rapidly design, secure, build, test and release new technology enabled capabilities to enable high throughput, fault tolerant solutions that power the core of the Intelligent Retail Lab.
- Create a development environment with a high level of quality to facilitate speed of delivery in a startup-style environment.
- The role is an individual contributor who collaborates closely with other Engineers, Architects, Product Managers and internal customers as required.
- Engineering and escalation support of leading and emerging technology designs as part of a global DevOps team.
- Develop new industry practices as needed for the emerging field of AI Operations.
- Use DevOps philosophies and practices to empower a global development organization solving unsolved problems.
Skills & Experience Required:
- 5+ years experience performing Systems Administration/DevOps engineering on a platform in an enterprise scale production environment.
- BS in Computer Science or similar is desired.
- Experience working in a Data Center Environment (IRL have put a supercomputer in a retail environment) is desirable. Willingness to work closely to the metal with physical infrastructure is a must.
- Ability to distill complex technical challenges to actionable and explainable decisions in a fast-paced CI/CD environment.
- Experience with Chef and / or Habitat highly desirable.
- Comfortable working in a variety of programming or scripting languages (primarily Python, TypeScript, and Rust).
- Experience with Apache Kafka or other stream-processing platforms is desirable.
- Experience with embedded systems or IoT devices is desirable.
- Experience working with Microsoft Azure and/or Google Cloud Platform is desirable.
- Experience of working with global teams, across different time zones. The majority of the IRL DevOps team today will be based in New York.