GumGum is a global technology and media company specializing in contextual intelligence. For over a decade, we have applied our proven machine learning expertise to extract value from digital content for the advertising industry. The company’s contextual advertising engine, Verity™, comprehends the meaning of text, images and video online, allowing marketers to safely and precisely place ads where people are most engaged. Combining that contextual targeting and brand safety intelligence with proprietary high-impact ad formats, GumGum’s advertising solutions deliver industry leading efficiency, accuracy and performance.
We are looking for a Senior DevOps Engineer, a seasoned professional who will be responsible for designing and building our always-evolving cloud infrastructure. This infrastructure underpins the Advertising products that serve GumGum clients and are critical to GumGum’s operational and business success.
The Senior DevOps Engineer writes infrastructure-as-code, improves system monitoring, builds POCs to test the limits of new tech, enforces security best practices and influences designs for systems that serve 25 million RPM and produce over 50TB of data per day. This role works extensively in AWS, Terraform, Docker and Kubernetes.
As a senior on the team, this role will be responsible for training and mentoring, always being on the front line and should be able to make data-driven decisions and recommendations to improve our highly distributed systems.
****Please note we are working from home until September 2021
- Maximize the growth of our junior and intermediate engineers via mentorship
- Design new tools and systems to better maintain the health, stability and security of our high-traffic production and dev environments
- Define and enforce best practices for writing infrastructure-as-code (IaC) and performing application deployments in a safe, zero-downtime manner
- Lead POCs to certify and test the capabilities of emerging technologies
- Ensure high reliability and availability of our auto-scaled "Big Data" systems
- Create and maintain monitoring solutions and instrument applications to provide insights into application performance and to understand emerging issues
- Continually identify and methodically improve cloud infrastructure for all systems through best practices and continuous process improvements and cost reduction
- Work with AWS (EC2, ECS, EKS, S3, RDS, ElastiCache, VPC, Route53, CloudFront, CloudWatch), Terraform, Kubernetes, Helm, Ubuntu, Docker, Ansible, Packer, Git, Jenkins, Drone CI, Kafka, Druid, Tomcat, Nginx, MySQL, Prometheus, Grafana, OpenVPN
- Bachelor’s degree in Software Engineering or Computer Science preferred
5-6 years of work experience comprising of:
- 3+ years of DevOps experience (6+ years if missing relevant degree)
- 2+ years of experience with AWS
- 1+ years of experience with Kubernetes in production
- Proven track record (3+ years experience) supporting a 24/7 production environment with scale in the hundreds of nodes
- Strong scripting experience - a bash command line expert comfortable writing scripts that utilize the AWS API (like Python w/boto3)
- Experience deploying, managing and tuning Big Data systems (Apache AirFlow, Kafka) is a plus
- Thorough understanding of Infrastructure Engineering technologies such as AWS VPC networking, TCP/IP, NAT, firewalling, VPN, cloud-based load balancers, storage, monitoring, security best practices
- Able to design and setup complex CI and CD workflows (Jenkins, Drone CI, GitLab CI, Spinnaker, AWS CodeDeploy)
- Linux administration fundamentals (Ubuntu, Redhat, Amazon Linux)
- Open-source contributions are a huge plus
- Self-starter who can take initiative and lead projects
- Evidence of continued learning
- Very strong problem solving skills - they should strive to find the root of the problem rather than designing band-aids
- Cool, calm and collected attitude
- Strong communications skills and a "customer service attitude"
- Enthusiasm for exploring new technologies - picking up new technology should be fun for them
Benefits & Perks
- Competitive health, vision and dental benefits
- Healthcare including 100% coverage for Employee + Spouse/family
- Dependent care FSA
- Employer-matched 401(k) plan
- Stock incentive program (role dependent)
- Paid parental leave
- Goodly - student loan contribution plan
- WFH monthly stipend
- Anniversary recognition and awards
- Fitness reimbursement and wellness workshops
- Discounted Pet Health Program
- Flexible time off and work schedule
- Stocked kitchen & Everytable Smartfridge
- Dog-friendly HQ office - we love our fur babies! Check us out on Instagram @dogsofgumgum
- Incredible work/life balance with a collaborative and friendly work space
- GumGum Gives Back volunteering opportunities
- Team building lunches and events, and monthly company celebrations
- Virtual monthly team bonding events
Career & Development Focus
- Ongoing learning and development for education opportunities such as webinars, books, classes, relevant conferences and events
- Opportunities to pursue business related side projects and yearly Hackathon
- Highly encouraged to contribute to open source software, including our own open source software
- Environment of learning from peers, including meetups, presentations and blog posts
- Opportunity to work with cutting edge technology
- Life Skills sessions - geared towards the whole life/ health / person
- Leadership Bites Dinner Series - connecting current and future GumGum leaders over great food and meaningful conversation
Stride - our company council committee to share learnings, give updates and provide feedback to the company regarding initiatives and discussions around diversity, inclusion and equity.
Thoughtful…We listen to understand different perspectives, show everyone respect, and relentlessly seek solutions for our clients (internal and external)
Agility…We are quick, nimble, and change direction gracefully, while maintaining control.
Grit…We bring energy and perseverance to everything we do.
GumGum recently earned LA’s Best Places to Work Award in 2021 by BuiltInLA, and Inc. Magazine’s Best Places to Work in 2020 and it’s no surprise why. With company-sponsored social hours, annual holiday celebrations and on-site gatherings, GumGummers enjoy a fun, creative and collaborative workplace. We provide ourselves on our strong track record of giving employees the autonomy and support they need to succeed.
Check us out on Instagram: @gumgum