ABOUT KHAN ACADEMY
Khan Academy is a fast-paced, nonprofit startup on a mission to provide a free, world-class education for anyone, anywhere. We already reach millions of students every month and are growing rapidly. We’re building a library of world-class instructional and practice resources that empowers learners. Whether they’re studying matrices, mitosis, or multivariable calculus, we want to offer students the resources to realize that they can learn anything.
ABOUT KHAN ACADEMY INDIA
Khan Academy India aims to deliver a world class user experience that is locally relevant to learners in India and is enabled by a strong on-the-ground team and operations. Our learning system is mastery based, which allows students to master key concepts at a pace that is right for them before moving on to more challenging content. From serving under 500,000 learners in 2016, we are now serving almost 4 million learners a month across our websites, apps and youtube channels. These learners include both independent learners accessing us at home and teacher directed learners in schools. Our focus is to reach the underserved by making our content accessible in local languages and by working with large public school systems. Khan Academy is available in Hindi, Hinglish, Kannada, Gujarati, Bangla, Tamil and Punjabi.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Khan Academy is looking for an experienced Senior Efficacy & Research Scientist to join our growing team. The Senior Efficacy & Research Scientist is responsible for executing and guiding rigorous research– both in-house and via third parties. This role will also partner with our India Schools team to achieve the mission of Khan Academy by assisting with substantive, verifiable studies providing evidence of the efficacy of our content and products.
In this role you will:
Provide Evidence of Efficacy:
- Define research questions and support research design with an analytic plan.
- When applicable, collaborate on the development of new instruments, support reviews, establish recruitment strategies, and collect data on-site.
- Conduct large-scale data extraction of Khan Academy usage data that is aligned to the required data elements from the analytic plan.
- Conduct analyses by using programming skills in R to link multiple datasets and apply statistical models to assess the impact on outcomes.
Provide Evidence to Guide Product and Content Improvements
- Develop a deep knowledge of Khan Academy products.
- Drive internal exploratory analyses to generate insights for product and content improvement and collaborate with cross-functional teams on implementing evidence-based improvements.
Communicate the Value of Khan Academy:
- Thoughtful, impactful visual and written communication of findings of studies for internal and external audiences.
- Attend and present at industry conferences to increase the awareness of Khan Academy’s Efficacy & Research team.
You are someone with:
- A passion for education and a desire to make an impact.
5-7 years post-PhD experience conducting research in EdTech, or other educational institutions, and applying learnings from research to guide teams for product improvement.
- Experience of successfully executing and driving research outside of an academic or think tank/research org setting with a focus on impact measurement to understand what works, under what conditions, and for whom.
- Broad and deep skills in research design, measurement, and analytical aspects of education research and efficacy.
- Expertise in conducting complex analyses (e.g., multilevel modelling, PSM, DID, etc.) in R and generating data visualizations to communicate findings.
- Comfort and experience with wrangling/cleaning complex data and driving in-depth undefined exploratory analyses.
SQL proficiency or strong willingness to learn in order to query large datasets then transform/clean structured data to make fit-for-purpose datasets from platform/telemetry data for targeted research questions, will be a plu
- Flexibility to periodically visit our office in New Delhi, to interact with the Schools team.
PERKS AND BENEFITS
We may be a non-profit, but we reward our talented team like a for-profit.
- Competitive salaries
- Remote-friendly workplace, i.e. option to work from home; Flexible schedules
- Health and wellness benefits
- Professional development focus
- Paid time off and parental leave
Fun virtual events
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or veteran status.