Airbnb is a mission-driven company dedicated to helping create a world where anyone can belong anywhere. It takes a unified team committed to our core values to achieve this goal. Airbnb's various functions embody the company's innovative spirit and our fast-moving team is committed to leading as a 21st century company.
Airbnb is seeking an experienced Engineering Manager to define and execute a comprehensive strategy to fully harness the power of our data.
Reporting to the Director of BizTech Products, this role will be responsible for leading a cross functional team that designs and implements tools and technology to enable business intelligence use cases across all of Airbnb. This role will be responsible for platform strategy, leading and driving project initiatives, overseeing ongoing operations of critical services and tools.
Airbnb is a vision and mission driven company. Our Engineering Managers embody this culture and mindset. Engineering Managers here imagine the ideal end state for our community (guests and hosts) first and work backwards from it, challenging all current assumptions. They champion a winning strategy and leverage metrics to ensure we are making progress against it. They partner with talented cross-functional team members (across engineering, design, data science, etc.) and lead teams to execute upon a shared vision. They are incredibly hands on and are not afraid to roll up their sleeves to get the right outcome for our community. We are looking for leaders who want to join us in this journey to accomplish our mission of creating belonging everywhere.
- Own the overall vision and strategy for Business Intelligence at Airbnb. You will be accountable for defining and implementing the technology roadmap that will transform insights and reporting at Airbnb.
- Recruit, lead, and inspire a cross functional team of analysts, engineers, and data scientists responsible for implementing our BI strategy.
- Partner with business leaders to provide insights that will guide strategic initiatives.
- Develop trusted partnerships with leaders in infrastructure, data strategy and analytics engineering to ensure alignment on key initiatives.
- Lead troubleshooting of process workflows, applications, integrations and architectural challenges leveraging the expertise of your team.
- Communicate new features and lead training for internal users, clients, and partners.
- Initiate projects that will significantly improve and expand Airbnb’s reporting platform.
- Make strategic and innovative technology and architecture decisions that will lead to recognition as an industry leader.
- 10+ years of relevant BI industry experience.
- Demonstrated track record of leading high performing cross-functional teams.
- Experience working with data visualization tools (Tableau, Looker, , Power BI, etc.) along with a deep understanding of tooling strengths and weaknesses.
- Understanding of data infrastructure components and relationships with visualization tools
- Strong SQL skills and experience working with relational databases and distributed systems.
- Excellent communication skills. Able to effectively communicate in a clear and concise manner. Experience communicating analyses and fielding questions from executive team members
- Experience with at least one programming language for data analysis (e.g. Python, R)
- Hands on end to end understanding of analytics from descriptive to predictive analytics including Machine Learning across data ingestion, prep, development, and end user adoption.
- Experience with an ETL framework like Airflow
- Experience with Presto, Druid, Superset, and other open source data technologies