At Pivotal, our mission is to enable customers to build a new class of applications, leveraging big and fast data, and do all of this with the power of cloud-independence.
Uniting technology, people and programs from EMC and VMware, Pivotal’s offering includes the Big Data Suite comprised of the Greenplum database, Pivotal Hadoop and GemFire/GemXD; Pivotal Cloud Foundry, the industry leading Platform as a Service product; and world leading ultra-agile application development through Pivotal Labs.
The Pivotal Senior Field Engineer, Data will be responsible for consulting with our clients to provide deep technical and business expertise with regards to the Pivotal products, specifically the Big Data Suite. Additional job responsibilities include the ability to architect solutions, install, connect, and use these products. The individual will interface directly with customers and collaborate with our Data Scientists on engagements. The Senior Field Engineer, Data will also work with Engineering and Product Management as the “tip of the spear” for the development of products and enhancements.
About the Role:
Architecture, Design, Development and Assessment style consulting for Pivotal’s Data Products to enable our Customers’ success. Specific responsibilities include:
- Drive the successful usage and adoption of Pivotal data solutions within strategic accounts by providing expert technical guidance on architecture, design, implementation, tuning, integration and ability to scale our products in the customer’s environment
- Occasionally support pre-sales proof of concepts involving data science and data engineering solutions. This may involve installing Pivotal products, integrating with customer specified products and tuning the system to optimally perform
- Provide consultative support to the Field and Partner Training organizations for review of deep technical training material
- Work collaboratively with Product Management, Technical Marketing and Engineering during the development, launch and continuing refinement of Pivotal products
- Present Architecture and Design vision and strategy to our customers at levels including executives to technical management and individual contributors
- Evangelize the value of Pivotal products in architectures and deployments.
- 5+ years of experience in technology related work, including roles such as customer-facing Consultant and/or Pre-sales Engineer
- Experience in complex environments building and deploying MPP Databases, Hadoop ecosystem, in-memory data grids, Java EE, BI/DW, or equivalent enterprise scenarios
- Must have a solid understanding of enterprise software development from design and architecture through production
- This position requires deep, architect level knowledge and experience with building and deploying systems leveraging hadoop and database technologies
- Excellent problem solving skills are a must. The ability to uncover business challenges and develop a solution to solve those challenges is key
- Knowledge of Java and application development is important
- Enthusiastic, self-starter with a charismatic personality
- Proven track record of successfully leading a team of developers and/or consultants
- Ability to see and present "the big picture" and offer/architect solutions to make it better, specifically around business analytic systems
- Strong customer facing and relationship building skills including strong listening and question based knowledge gathering skills
- Must be effective in working both independently and in a customer setting
- The ability to present impromptu and via a white board is important
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral are required
- Direct experience working on a large scale data warehouse or Hadoop platform is a very strong asset
- Intermediate programming and computation skills, preferably with Perl, Python Java, BASH/Shell Scripting and/or C/C++
- Strong SQL programming skills
- System administration of Linux is required
- RDBMS related product experience is strongly preferred (Teradata, Netezza, Vertica, Oracle, DB2, Postgres,, etc.)
- Database administration of any RDBMS is a strong asset
- Understanding of traditional DW/BI components (ETL, Staging, DW, ODS, Data Marts, BI Tools)
- Understanding of parallel processing approaches and concepts is a very strong asset
- Understanding of the hardware and networking architecture behind large scale clustered systems
- Familiarity with standard statistical/BI packages to perform analytic calculations
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, related field or equivalent experience
Compensation: At Pivotal, your On-Target Earnings are real, not virtual. We offer a competitive base salary plus a semi-annual bonus structure which is tied your achievement and the company’s performance.
Other Benefits: The flexibility of being “home-office” based; all new, top of the line hardware and equipment; quick and comprehensive expense reporting and reimbursement; company sponsored medical, dental, and vision coverage; stock options; 401K; profit sharing; employee stock purchase program (ESPP)