Duty Stations: Antakya
Reporting to: Assistant financial controller
General Description of the Role:
Reporting to the GOAL Syria Assistant Financial Controller – Operations the main purpose of this position is to assist in the day to day cash inflows and outflows, ensuring proper systems and procedures are being followed. The role also liaises with the inside Syria Finance team to coordinate completion of their finance roles and responsibilities..
Cash, Bank and Accounting:
- Follow up with Field Finance Officers/office manager Syria to ensure that cash books and supporting documents at month end are submitted on a timely basis;
- Obtain FX rate from money trades and communicate to Syria field office
- Collate monthly funds requests from field sites, including liaising with AFC Operations to ensure sufficient funds are on hand;
- With Finance officers, maintain all the Antakya bank and cashbooks and their reconciliations on a timely basis; including liaising with AFC Operations to ensure sufficient funds are on hand;
- Oversee petty cash maintenance and bank register maintenance, ensuring all expenses are reasonable and appropriately authorised and recorded;
- Monitor floats outstanding and ensuring they are cleared on a regular basis;
- Ensure all purchases have been made following GOAL purchasing procedures and have all relevant supporting documentation attached to payment requisition and for all payments that all supporting documentation is prepared and filed according to GOAL procedures
- Review & reconcile physical cash to the cash book on a weekly basis prepared by Finance officer.
- With AFC Operations, liaise with HR/ admin and Syria office manager to prepare, reconcile and distribute monthly payroll;
- Ensure payroll remittances are made each month on a timely basis;
- Review the Fixed Assets Register Month Spot check for Month end files.
- Support posting all cash and bank transactions into accounting system and ensuring coding and narrative are complete
- Ensure bank mandates are up to date
- Ensure all excel bank and cashbooks have the up to date coding and support AFC Operations to maintain Finance account coding on SAGE accounting system
Documentation & Compliance monitoring:
- Ensure maintenance of all accounting records, ensuring that records are complete, accurate and safeguarded.
- Ensure proper filing of monthly vouchers
- Review all documents submitted for payment to ensure proper procedures have been followed
- Coordinate resolution of issues raised during documentation and compliance checks with relevant departments and locations
- Ensure annual audit file is kept complete and up to date;
- Support in preparation of documentation to facilitate donor, internal and external audits
- Support in finance facilitation for any internal / external audits;
- With AFC Operations, ensure all staff receive basic Finance induction on GOAL Finance policies and procedures
- Provide coaching and capacity building to staff members as appropriate
- Support on Finance oversight re Logistics manual finance requirements e.g. stock counts
- Any other task assigned by the GOAL Syria AFC Operations or GOAL Syria FC
- Finance qualification, preferably with a professional accountancy qualification in progress or completed;
- At least 3 years’ experience in accountancy and general finance management, NGO experience preferable
- Excellent computer skills including proficiency in Microsoft Excel and Word, working knowledge of accounting system would be an advantage
- Excellent attention to detail and organisational skills
- Good management skills with the ability to quickly re-priorities activities to meet the demands of the programme in a rapidly changing context;
- Fluency in spoken and written English and Arabic is required; Turkish is desirable
- Friendly, professional manner, with the ability to manage and work with staff at all levels.
Applications will be reviewed and considered upon receipt.
GOAL has a Staff Code of Conduct and a Child Protection Policy, which have been developed to ensure the maximum protection of programme participants and children from exploitation. GOAL also has a confidentiality policy ensuring the non-disclosure of any information whatsoever relating to the practices and business of GOAL, acquired in the course of duty, to any other person or organization without authority, except in the normal execution of duty. Any candidate offered a job with GOAL will be expected to adhere to these policies any job offer made is also subject to a reference check. GOAL is an equal opportunities employer and encourages applications equally from both men and women.