We’re Cruise, the self-driving ride-hailing service.
We are building the world’s most advanced self-driving vehicles to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving vehicles will help save lives, reshape cities, give back time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
At Cruise, our engineers have opportunities to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the cutting-edge of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to solve one of today’s most complex engineering challenges, see the results of your work in hundreds of self-driving cars, and make a positive impact in the world starting in our cities, join us.
About the role:
We are looking for an experienced Fleet Safety Engineer to join our Product Safety team in ensuring the safety of our autonomous vehicle fleet testng and operations. As part of the Product Safety department at Cruise, the Fleet Safety Engineer will support day-to-day fleet operations safety and major company initiatives by providing technical system-level safety assessments and ensuring hazards are identified and mitigated early in the design and implementation process.
In this position, you will collaborate with teams across Engineering, Operations, Product Safety, Security, and Legal to build and execute on a world-class systems safety risk management process in line with our company’s overall commitment to creating a safer world through autonomous vehicles.
If you're interested in how to incorporate safety in the early stages of design and enable cutting edge technology development while making the world a better place, let's chat!
What you’ll be doing:
- Act as technical member of the operational safety team supporting system safety analysis, hazard identification and mitigation efforts
- Perform safety analyses for software, hardware, and operational changes to identify whether factors can contribute to a hazard for the fleet and work with engineering and operations teams to identify safer solutions
- Serve as the operational safety expert for fleet safety on major company projects and programs. Architect approach to safety assessment and validation of human-machine interface aspects. This includes review and input to both engineering designs and operational plans to ensure overall system safety.
- Participate in design reviews and discussions to help ensure that safety goals and requirements are being effectively addressed
- Work with the Technical Operations team - to identify critical maintenance to keep the fleet running safely
- Develop operational safety requirements working collaboratively with engineering and operations teams.
- Ensure bi-directional traceability between operational safety requirements and system hazards including a validation process to close the loop on safety controls implementation verification
- Support ops response team to analyze field data including incidents to identify risk trends and areas of safety improvement
- Contribute to the continuous improvement of the Cruise’s safety program including creation and iteration of fleet risk assessment standards and tools
- Participate in program audits to ensure effective operational safety controls implementation
- Promote safety culture at Cruise
What you must have:
- 5+ years of relevant engineering work experience that includes System Safety engineering
- Familiarity with Systems Theoretic Process Analysis (STPA), Fault Tree Analysis (FTA), Functional Hazard Analysis (FHA), Design Failure Mode and Effect Analysis (DFMEA), and System Safety Hazard Analysis (SHA).
- Experience identifying safety hazards and developing studies in human-machine interface
- Detail oriented with excellent analytical skills and problem resolution skills
- Team player with excellent communication skills both verbal and written
- Self-motivated. Agile, flexible, and adaptable to thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic, and matrixed team environment.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Mathematics, or related scientific field
- An advanced degree in engineering or related technical fields
- Expertise in safety analysis for autonomous vehicles
Experience in evaluating and ensuring regulatory compliance
Our benefits are here to support the whole you:
- Competitive salary and benefits
- 401(k) Cruise matching program
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy meals and snacks provided
- Paid parental leave & family expansion stipend
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Commuter benefits
- Through our partnerships with General Motors and Honda, we are the only self-driving company with fully integrated manufacturing at scale.
- GM, Honda, SoftBank, and T. Rowe Price have invested billions in Cruise. Their backing for our technology demonstrates their confidence in our progress, team, and vision and makes us one of the leading autonomous vehicle organizations in the industry. Our deep resources greatly accelerate our operating speed.
- We have our own governance, board of directors, equity, and investors. Our independence allows us to not just work on the bleeding-edge of technology, but also define it.
- You won’t just own your work here, you’ll have the potential to own equity in Cruise, too. We are competing in a market that is projected to grow exponentially, which gives our company valuation room to grow.
Cruise LLC is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants for employment will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, genetics or any other legally protected basis. Below, you have the opportunity to share your preferred gender pronouns, gender, ethnicity, and veteran status with Cruise to help us identify areas of improvement in our hiring and recruitment processes. Completion of these questions is entirely voluntary. Any information you choose to provide will be kept confidential, and will not impact the hiring decision in any way.
We also consider for employment qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with applicable laws. And, if you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.