Hermeus is an aerospace and defense technology company founded to radically accelerate air travel by delivering hypersonic aircraft. The company aims to develop hypersonic aircraft quickly and cost-effectively by integrating hardware-rich, iterative development with modern computing and autonomy. This approach has been validated through design, build, and test of the company’s first combined turbojet-ramjet engine and is now being scaled through its first flight vehicle program, Quarterhorse. Hermeus is also developing Darkhorse — an uncrewed hypersonic aircraft designed to deliver unique asymmetric capabilities to the warfighter.
At Hermeus, we are constantly iterating and integrating. We test early and often to minimize technical and program risk. We build the test campaigns that support our full range of test programs spanning development, operational and certification testing.
Hermeus is seeking a Senior Flight Test Engineer to join our team. As a Flight Test Engineer at Hermeus, you will play a pivotal role in the planning, execution, and analysis of flight tests for our advanced aerospace systems. You will work closely with a multidisciplinary team of engineers and technicians to ensure the safety, performance, and success of our groundbreaking projects.
- Perform systems integration and test mission planning for ground and flight tests of multiple systems under test.
- Coordinate efforts with other members of cross functional teams relating to design, fabrication, modification, testing and troubleshooting of aircraft systems.
- Coordinate engineering and certification activities for flight test vehicles.
- Determine and document aircraft installation, configuration, and integration requirements for flight test vehicles.
- Develop and maintain processes to ensure aircraft and systems configuration control.
- Work jointly with other cross functional team members to author ground and flight test plans and procedures, including safe and logical sequencing of test conditions to satisfy program requirements.
- Ensure that test planning requirements are met.
- On-site test management, including test card generation, briefing, debriefing, documenting test results, and test analysis.
- Perform data analysis.
- Participation in flight tests as a flight crew member as required.
- Provide engineering and technical support as part of the Flight Test Operations Team
- Must be capable of supporting off-site testing at austere sites for short term (up to two months at a time) assignments.
- Bachelor's degree in a STEM subject (Masters preferred)
- 5+ years of experience in aerospace or aviation, with a focus on experimental flight testing.
- Strong understanding of aircraft systems and flight test procedures.
- In depth understanding of flight operations and air traffic management.
- Understanding of relevant civil and military requirements (FAR’s, MIL-STD).
- Familiarity of data acquisition systems, sensors, and telemetry equipment.
- Ability and willingness to learn and take on tasks outside of designated job duties if needed.
- Excellent problem-solving and critical-thinking skills.
- Must be eligible to obtain and maintain Top Secret clearance.
- Experience with at least two other flight test certification programs.
- Experience with large UAV’s and fixed wing aircraft.
- In-depth knowledge of Real Time Telemetry, and RTT analysis tools (IADS).
- Strong communication skills and ability to work effectively in a team environment.
- A strong commitment to safety and attention to detail.
- Able to work in (and lead) a multi-disciplinary team.
- Ability and willingness to learn and take on tasks outside of town area.
- Basic skills in typical engineering programming languages such as Python/MATLAB
- Ability to present effective engineering data to multi-disciplinary teams.
- Ability to prioritize, organize and track a wide variety of tasks and assignments.
We encourage you to apply even if you have skillsets and experience outside of our current needs as we're always open to connect and discuss future opportunities.