The mission of the Economy & Monetization Design team at Wildlife is to apply deep understanding of player behavior to design, balance and maintain the core economy structure of our games in order to support all of its systems, features, content releases and operations strategies. Their ultimate goal is to improve each game’s financial performance across all phases of development, from pre-production, to live development and operations.
This team applies expertise in F2P game mechanics, behavioural science, game theory, consumer economics, pricing strategy, and causal inference to develop hypotheses, model, test and validate the impact of economic systems and feature design on both player experience and game profitability. Working with our Game Directors, they analyse patterns of play to design, balance and tune drivers in the game economy, supporting the strategic vision of each title.
Additionally to working with the core game teams, they partner with our Tools & Automation and Live Ops teams to support our games-as-a-service strategy, and also partner with our Data Science team to build mathematical models that quantify value, helping to efficiently prioritize resources and coordinate assumptions and goals across the company.
What you’ll do
- Design, model, tune and maintain a balanced game economy including progression, rewards, drop tables, resources flow, sources and sinks, content statistics and pricing
- Support the Game Director in realisation of game vision, setting and achieving LTV optimisation and revenue targets.
- Collaborate with game designers on design of game features, economy and pricing logic to maximize retention, revenue and overall profitability
- Recommend novel systems and features to allow different player types to fulfil their experience at their level of engagement and spend
- Define economy KPIs to monitor, predict and validate the impact of features on game balance and player behavior at a macro and micro level
- Collaborate with Data Scientists to develop and maintain a model of game performance and individual player lifecycle based on historic data to drive informed decisions in real-time from launch, including cold start for new games and genres
- Track individual life cycles for different player profiles to identify needs, relationships and demand drivers for product verticals, and suggest improvements to player experience, engagement and monetization
- Provide thought leadership and expertise on game economy, providing data-driven recommendations on design, balance tuning, features, live operations and pricing
What you’ll need
- Experience as Game Economy Designer or similar role, working on game balance, economy features and monetization with successful mobile titles
- Degree in Product Design, Economics, Behavioural Science, Applied Science, Business Management or related field. Experience in econometrics, product marketing, market research, data mining and strategy a plus
- Expert understanding of game design theory. Experience in gameplay design, social design, casino and math design a plus
- Experience working on multiple projects in parallel while delivering high quality work under time pressure
- Proficiency in Excel. Proficiency with programming (SQL, Python, R, etc.) a plus
- Experience in product marketing, merchandising and sales strategies a plus
More about you
- Passion for analytical game design with experience across mobile game genres
- Goal oriented game designer with extensive knowledge of free-to-play mechanics and deep understanding of how economy systems drive player behavior
- Strong instincts about gameplay and game design, understanding how to build needs and emotions integrated with player experience
- Experience in multiple areas of design, including gameplay, economy, systems, features, content and live operations strategy
- Strong analytical skills with ability to break problems down into component parts, identify relationships between variables to draw conclusions
- Strong econometrics skills with experience building quantitative model problems of systems, and also provide qualitative analysis based on models
- Strong statistical knowledge with ability to formulate ratios and indices specific to each game, identify weaknesses and strengths in its economy design
Wildlife is one of the leading mobile game developers and publishers in the world. We have released more than 60 titles, reaching billions of people around the globe. Today, we have offices in Brazil, Argentina, Ireland, and the United States. Here, we create games that will excite, intrigue, and engage our players for years to come!
Wildlife is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, colour, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state, and local law.