Upgrade is a fintech unicorn backed by a top 10 global bank and other leading fintech investors. Founded in 2017, Upgrade has already delivered $5 billion in consumer credit and achieved $125 million in annual revenue run rate and cash profitability.
Upgrade is building a neobank offering exceptional value to mainstream consumers, including affordable and responsible credit through cards and loans. In 4 short years 12 million people have already applied for an Upgrade Card
Upgrade has been named a “Best Place to Work in the Bay Area” by the San Francisco Business Times and Silicon Valley Business Journal 3 years in a row, and received “Best Company for Women” and “Best Company for Diversity” awards from Comparably
We are looking for new team members who get excited about designing and implementing new and better products to join a team of over 500 talented and passionate professionals. Come join us if you like to tackle big problems and make a meaningful difference in people's lives.
This is a remote position based in Canada.
At Upgrade, the Platform team works horizontally with our different engineering teams. We build tools, services and shared libraries to simplify / abstract / speedup the day to day of our developers.
We are looking for a passionate Kafka engineer to help us push our messaging infrastructure to the next level. We are already using Kafka in production at the moment, but Upgrade is growing and we now have a sub team dedicated to building our next generation streaming platform. Join us!
- Contribute to our Kafka renovation project. We are curious to learn how other companies are using Kafka.
- Code new libraries and tools to make Kafka easier to approach and more self-service.
- Prototype different patterns of integration with Kafka (Library level, Kubernetes level, etc.).
- Helping troubleshoot Kafka issues, either at the Java or Infrastructure layer.
- Help drive Kafka adoption at the company.
Requirements (Please apply if you only have a few in there!)
- Good Java programming knowledge (Golang a plus).
- You worked on a team driving the adoption of Kafka before.
- You investigated Kafka challenges in a production environment.
- You did capacity planning of a Kafka cluster.
- Experience with managed Kafka services like AWS MSK, Confluent Platform.
- Experience building services on top of Kafka.
- Good knowledge of Kubernetes and its constructs.
- Basic AWS knowledge.
- Good communication & empathy skills. You will interact with different stakeholders at Upgrade to help define our vision.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field.
- Competitive salary and stock option plan.
- 100% paid coverage of medical, dental and vision insurance.
- Unlimited vacation.
- Learning stipend for personal growth and development.
- Paid parental leave.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.