GumGum is a global technology and media company specializing in contextual intelligence. For over a decade, we have applied our proven machine learning expertise to extract value from digital content for the advertising industry. The company’s contextual advertising engine, Verity™, comprehends the meaning of text, images and video online, allowing marketers to safely and precisely place ads where people are most engaged. Combining that contextual targeting and brand safety intelligence with proprietary high-impact ad formats, GumGum’s advertising solutions deliver industry leading efficiency, accuracy and performance.
The Engineering Manager for Verity Engineering team is responsible for developing GumGum’s flagship contextual intelligence product - Verity. Verity is an API to expose GumGum’s AI capabilities including Natural Language Processing and Computer Vision. The team consists of Java engineers, Python developers and data engineers. This team closely works with CV and NLP teams and productionizes their work. The API gets 50 million requests per day and needs to be scaled up to 500 million requests per day.
The Verity team is a small startup within GumGum and the API is relatively new. Many interesting problems in the domain of productionaization of AI await this leadership position. The position is not expected to code, but needs to be well versed with the design and architecture.
****Please note we are working from home until September 2021
Verity Engineering Technical Execution
- Design high volume, high traffic web services written in Java
- Engage in technical architecture discussions, solve ambiguous problems, and execute on a solution with a team of engineers across CV, NLP, Data engineers and Java and Python developers.
- Monitor and track AWS costs for Ad Server Infrastructure. Come up with projects to reduce Ad Server infrastructure costs.
- Mentor junior engineers, review pull requests and designs created by junior engineers.
- Manage a diverse team of engineers, both remote and in our Santa Monica office, who work on both backend and frontend components of our applications
- Conduct 1:1s, performance reviews, documentation, and hiring
- Evolve our hiring process, on-boarding and training, and leveling up guide
- Advocate for and grow our team’s processes and best practices
- Encourage technical and professional development, and for team members to write blog posts, give presentations, and talk about GumGum’s technology outside of GumGum
Product Development and Project Management
- Collaborate with Product and internal stakeholders to identify, prioritize and develop new features and improvements for our products, as well as provide support for any stakeholder issues
- Oversee day-to-day activities and deliverables and lead cross functional projects
- Work with other data science teams, ensuring requirements are considered and met for cross team projects
- No formal education requirement
- 4-5 years of experience managing a technology team as Engineering Manager
- 10 years of experience as a developer with understanding of programming languages, preferably Java and Python
- Strong architecture background
- Experience working with AWS and distributed systems such as Kafka, DynamoDb or equivalent
- Experience working with data science or data engineering would be a plus.
- A history of successfully shipping products into production
- Experience coaching and mentoring team members
Benefits & Perks
- Competitive health, vision and dental benefits
- Healthcare including 100% coverage for Employee + Spouse/family
- Dependent care FSA
- Employer-matched 401(k) plan
- Stock incentive program (role dependent)
- Paid parental leave
- Goodly - student loan contribution plan
- WFH monthly stipend
- Anniversary recognition and awards
- Fitness reimbursement and wellness workshops
- Discounted Pet Health Program
- Flexible time off and work schedule
- Stocked kitchen & Everytable Smartfridge
- Dog-friendly HQ office - we love our fur babies! Check us out on Instagram @dogsofgumgum
- Incredible work/life balance with a collaborative and friendly work space
- GumGum Gives Back volunteering opportunities
- Team building lunches and events, and monthly company celebrations
- Virtual monthly team bonding events
Career & Development Focus
- Ongoing learning and development for education opportunities such as webinars, books, classes, relevant conferences and events
- Opportunities to pursue business related side projects and yearly Hackathon
- Highly encouraged to contribute to open source software, including our own open source software
- Environment of learning from peers, including meetups, presentations and blog posts
- Opportunity to work with cutting edge technology
- Life Skills sessions - geared towards the whole life/ health / person
- Leadership Bites Dinner Series - connecting current and future GumGum leaders over great food and meaningful conversation
Stride - our company council committee to share learnings, give updates and provide feedback to the company regarding initiatives and discussions around diversity, inclusion and equity.
Thoughtful…We listen to understand different perspectives, show everyone respect, and relentlessly seek solutions for our clients (internal and external)
Agility…We are quick, nimble, and change direction gracefully, while maintaining control.
Grit…We bring energy and perseverance to everything we do.
GumGum recently earned LA’s Best Places to Work Award in 2021 by BuiltInLA, and Inc. Magazine’s Best Places to Work in 2020 and it’s no surprise why. With company-sponsored social hours, annual holiday celebrations and on-site gatherings, GumGummers enjoy a fun, creative and collaborative workplace. We provide ourselves on our strong track record of giving employees the autonomy and support they need to succeed.
Check us out on Instagram: @gumgum