As the owner of the end-to-end mechanical design, the Senior Mechanical Design Engineer works closely with the greater engineering team to understand and define the product requirements; to create robust designs that balance performance, manufacturability, and cost; and to be a champion for product quality.
In this role, the Mechanical Engineer will help drive and direct product development efforts across the organization, focusing on the enclosure architecture, but also influencing accessory design, packaging, reliability, thermals, tooling, and manufacturing. The role requires depth in mechanical core competencies, but also breadth to collaborate cross-functionally and ensure well-aligned and well-supported development. It presents a fantastic opportunity to have a significant impact on all aspects of the product while working to build a world-class team that embodies great design, attention to detail, and quality.
What you’ll do:
- Architect and complete detailed design of plastic and metal components of consumer electronics products
- Work with Electrical Engineering, RF Design, ID, and Product team members to conceptualize, define, design, build, and test new products
- Make detailed 3D CAD models and 2D drawings of all parts and assemblies.
- Define materials and seek out off-the-shelf components and systems for the product
- Perform design validation, verification, and characterization for first prototypes, sub-assemblies, and the final product
- Perform tolerance analyses to verify performance of mechanisms and cosmetic specifications in the presence of high volume dimensional variation
- Drive detailed design and 2D documentation of all parts and assemblies
- Interact with overseas vendors to develop tune new manufacturing processes, develop tooling, and design assembly fixtures concepts
- Work with the operations teams to evaluate and develop supply chains capable of manufacturing new subsystems and products
- Define testing requirements, fixtures, and equipment to qualify the mechanical design and product assembly for mass production
- Travel internationally to support bring-up and qualification mass production capability (20-25%)
We’re looking for someone who:
- Obsesses over the customer experience.
- Has demonstrated experience with 3D CAD Tools (eg. Solidworks, UG/Nx, ProEngineer, etc. -- we use Nx)
- Has knowledge of high-volume manufacturing processes and/or automation
- Experience in Design for Manufacturability (DFM), and Design for Assembly (DFA), statistical tolerance analysis techniques, functional dimensioning, and geometric tolerancing
- Experience working on-site and remotely with vendors in Asia
- Possesses a solid understanding of root cause analysis, DOE, GD&T, SPC, andor CP/CPK techniques
- Has 5+ years of consumer product design experience with knowledge of injection molding and stamping
- Experience in rigid and flexible PCB design or packaging is a plus
- A broad understanding of wireless technologies, design principles, and architectures is a plus
- Drives what matters. You never lose sight of the critical path and can evangelize others to follow it.
- Sees around corners. You are proactive, not reactive. You recognize long-range risks and know how to mitigate them. You may even be part psychic.
- Is curious. You get excited about things you don’t know. You ask lots of questions and go searching for answers. Geeking out is part of what makes it fun to come to work.
- BSME or equivalent. MS preferred.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.