Sr. Mechanical / Process Engineer - Capital Projects
Zymergen is a fast-growing company in search of a Sr. Mechanical Engineer for Capital Projects to assist in the design of our corporate campus in Emeryville, CA. This role will be responsible for the design and review of all facility CapEx projects for air management systems and process systems. The scope of projects will include office, laboratory, manufacturing, and infrastructure projects. The candidate will be responsible for working with internal and external partners to successfully design / manage all mechanical systems on a growing campus of multiple buildings and over 750 employees. This role is a six month fixed term position.
- Assists in leading and managing projects or other design and engineering initiatives
- Provides leadership in ensuring projects or other design and engineering initiatives are meeting or exceeding company expectations
- Acts as a subject matter expert and/or Engineer on record for reviews with external partners, including government permitting entities.
- Provides technical expertise to Facilities Operations teams for critical maintenance, calibration, and spare parts programs for mechanical and process systems.
- Performs complex maintenance and repairs on engineering systems, and develops SOWs for complex engineering system maintenance, replacement, design and construction projects
- Ability to apply knowledge of processes and procedures to resolve non-routine issues
- Executes effective contract administration procedures including generation, review, and monitoring of contracts, change orders, cost forecasts, and other pertinent documents and documentation.
- Utilizes safe working practices at an expert level (e.g. can apply procedure for lockout/tag out, can explain MSDS, etc.)
- Evaluates and assures the safe working practices of others
- Works with the capacity and site engineering teams to identify power and cooling limitations, discuss potential modifications and develop solutions to overcome limitations
- Acquires knowledge by expanding experience with systems, vendor training and shadowing others
- Assists in directing as many as external vendors per project or initiatives such general contractors, A&E design teams, commissioning agents, equipment suppliers, etc.
- Expert level communication to include cross functional SOP development and relevant technical writing
- Assures adherence to developed standards and policy through review of documentation, participation in commissioning activities
- Consistently solves complex, cross-functional issues requiring independent action and a high degree of initiative to resolve
Desired Experience in all or most of the following areas in a Pilot Fermentation Plants
- Design reviews of Pilot Fermentation development
- SME for Design, Installation and Startup of Pilot Fermentation Plant
- Basic operations and maintenance of fermentation and purification equipment
- Monitor processes and identify deviations and/or opportunities for improvement
- Troubleshoot processes and provide technical feedback as needed
- Supervise and assist in day to day operations
- Provide technical leadership for pilot plant operations for one or more projects
- Proficient in basic lab techniques, procedures, and assays
- Clean (CIP) and set-up process equipment such as fermenters, portable tanks, continuous centrifuges, homogenizers, and filters
- Operation of centrifuge, Tangential Flow Filtration (TFF) and chromatography systems
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical/Architectural Engineering with a sound knowledge of mechanical engineering fundamentals
- 6+ years of experience with lab/life science utility system experience
- California PE preferred
- Strong skills in Autodesk programs such as AutoCAD and Revit
- Familiarity with building systems, codes
- Project management and supervisory experience
- Strong analytical, organizational and decision-making skills
- Strong interpersonal skills required to establish and maintain positive relationships with Zymergen colleagues
Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. We are not able to sponsor individuals for employment visas for this job.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.
Founded in 2013 and based in the San Francisco Bay Area, Zymergen is a technology company unlocking the power of biology. We deliver better economics for products made from biology that are used across industries, bring new products to market faster, and develop novel products. Our proprietary platform uses robots and machine learning to engineer microbes faster, more predictably, and to a level of performance previously unattainable. These microbes, and the products they produce, have broad applications across industries such as chemicals and materials, agriculture, and healthcare. For more information visit www.zymergen.com.