Our mission is to make biology easier to engineer. Ginkgo is constructing, editing, and redesigning the living world in order to answer the globe’s growing challenges in health, energy, food, materials, and more. Our bioengineers make use of an in-house automated foundry for designing and building new organisms. Today, our foundry is developing over 40 different organisms to make different products across multiple industries.
To realize our dream of building a next-generation organism company, each of these organisms needs to be deployed to customers. We are seeking a Senior Process Engineer who excited to tackle the ambitious challenge of transitioning multiple bioprocesses through scale-up and commercial scale manufacturing of cultured ingredients with our customers.
The ideal candidate is passionate about process development and downstream product recovery and purification. You'll work hand-in-hand with Ginkgo fermentation engineers to verify that Ginkgo organisms perform to spec for customers, and lead the transition of bioprocesses and recovery/purification processes to customers and/or third party contract manufacturers.
- Technoeconomic modeling of bioprocesses to ensure processes meet COGS targets
- Drive development of product recovery and purification processes that can scale to commercial manufacturing across multiple cultured ingredients
- Drive process design and documentation for customers and/or third party contract manfacturers
- Lead tech transfer of bioprocesses and DSP protocols to customers and/or contract manufacturers
- Ensure that DSP protocols run effectively at customer and/or contract manufacturers
- PhD or equivalent experience with 5+ years relevant industrial experience
- Prior experience with process development and scale-up for small molecule production
- Proven track record of multiple scale up campaigns
- Experience with tech transfer of materials and processes to customers and/or contract manufacturing facilities
- Experience with multiple high value natural products a plus
To learn more about Ginkgo, check out some recent press:
We also feel it’s important to point out the obvious here – there’s a serious lack of diversity in our industry and it needs to change. Our goal is to help drive that change. We hope to continue to build a company whose culture promotes inclusion and embraces how rewarding it is to work with engineers from all walks of life. Making biology easier to engineer is a tough nut to crack – we can’t afford to leave any talent untapped.
It is the policy of Ginkgo Bioworks to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and employment applicants.