On Being Project
Senior Producer, On Being Studios
STATUS: Full-time, salaried (exempt)
LOCATION: Minneapolis or remote, with occasional travel
REPORTS TO: Executive Producer
KEY RELATIONSHIPS: On Being Host, Executive Producer, Senior Producer, Producer/Technical Directors, On Being guests
SALARY RANGE: $85,000 – $95,000 annually + benefits
ABOUT THE ON BEING PROJECT
The On Being Project is a nonprofit media and public life enterprise dedicated to social healing. Our mission is to pursue deep thinking and moral imagination, social courage and joy, to renew inner life, outer life, and life together. We believe that the people and projects who turn to our work are healing our world and renewing common life for this century, and we are called to nourish, embolden, and accompany them ever more deeply.
We produce the award-winning global podcast and U.S. public radio show On Being with Krista Tippett, the acclaimed new podcast Poetry Unbound, and a portfolio of audio and digital content that engages the generative narrative of our time. We use our media platforms to amplify lives and voices that model and inspire wisdom, moral courage, and social creativity. We mentor and accompany individuals and communities in the urgent, yet also generational, work of conversation, civilizational reckoning, and social healing. Through gatherings large and small, virtual and in-person, we bring people together to incubate new forms of navigating difference and shared life.
The On Being Project engages the great questions of meaning in 21st-century existence: what does it mean to be human, how do we want to live, and who will we be to each other? Across our work, we tend to the human change that makes social transformation possible.
HOW YOU WOULD FIT IN & STAND OUT
The Senior Producer is a key member of the On Being Studios production staff, leading production of radio and podcast offerings, including our flagship program, On Being. The Senior Producer will be an experienced, thoughtful, confident, and collaborative audio producer who has an exceptional ability to create conversations and narratives exploring the questions of meaning On Being engages. The Senior Producer will contribute directly to On Being’s editorial growth in expanding perspectives and voices of diverse identities.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBLITIES & EXPECTATIONS
The Senior Producer works independently to create, develop, and produce the weekly On Being radio show and podcast as well as our Living the Questions podcast – an occasional On Being segment where Krista Tippett muses on questions received from our listening community. The essential responsibilities of this job span pre-production, production, and post-production tasks. The Senior Producer:
• Establishes and maintains the highest standards of audio production and guest service for On Being and Living the Questions.
• Produces the weekly On Being podcast and radio show, including: vetting, pitching and booking guests for new interviews; coordinating with external studios for ISDN interviews or other recording equipment options; creating prep packets for the host; guiding editorial discussions around episode content; guiding the host in the script-writing process; working with the Technical Director as well as host to fine-tune the final interview audio and script recording; fact-checking; securing media releases from new guests; updating archival episodes for rebroadcast; and editing audio in ProTools.
• Leads auditions of the On Being podcast and radio show with assistance from other producers on the audio team and works with the Technical Director to make sure the final audio produced is of the highest quality.
• Publishes the On Being radio show and oversees publishing to our podcast feeds.
• Participates in ongoing evaluation and updating of processes, strategies, guides, and templates relating to production.
• Assists in producing for Living the Questions, including: pitching and booking guests, coordinating with external studios for ISDN interviews or other recording equipment options; creating prep packets for the host (if necessary); leading the editorial process around episode content, audio editing and mixing, fact checking, script writing, managing the production calendar, and guiding the development of a broad, strategic vision for the project.
• Serves as a back-up to the Executive Producer when they are out of the office or otherwise unavailable.
THIS JOB IS FOR YOU IF YOU ARE/CAN:
• Have a minimum of 10 years demonstrated experience working at a high-level in the fields of radio, podcast, or audio production.
• Hold a commitment to advancing equity, diversity, and inclusion.
• Have cultural competency that demonstrates an ability to engage people across ideological, cultural, and political differences.
• Hold an appreciation for, interest in, and understanding of the content produced by On Being Studios.
• Have strong editorial judgment and skills, including an understanding of journalistic ethics and principles.
• Have critical skills for hearing value and authenticity in radio storytelling.
• An independent self-starter with exceptional time management skills.
• Work effectively with hosts and production staff, and communicate well with internal colleagues and external guests and partners.
• Able to successfully incorporate feedback and manage multiple points of view.
• Have exceptional attention to detail.
• Be flexible in order to thrive in a fast-paced environment with tight deadlines, changing priorities, multiple responsibilities.
• Bring extensive experience editing audio, preferably in ProTools.
• Have digital fluency with collaboration, asset management, and conferencing software, including Google Suite, Dropbox, and Zoom. Fluency with Mac OS is preferred.
• Willing to learn new tools and software in managing production workflows.
• Have extensive knowledge of sound design and music mixing as used to create and enhance the storytelling experience.
• A humble, collaborative leader who is confident in their domain.
IDENTITY & OUR WORKPLACE
The On Being Project team is organized in three internal areas of focus: Studios (focused on content production and distribution across audio, video, digital, and print); Civil Conversations & Social Healing (focused on all the ways we engage in relationship with communities); and Operations & Vitality (focused on the resources and infrastructure that allow us to thrive).
Our work is about joining inner life with outer presence in the world. As an organization, we strive to embody what we transmit to the world, believing that “what we practice, we become.” Two specific guideposts shape our culture: Placemaking and Grounding Virtues.
Our internal Placemaking initiative is an ongoing commitment to being an organization of diverse identities and to the deep work of evolving beyond diversity, equity, and tolerance into the complex and life-giving place of integrity and wholeness. Everyone at The On Being Project shares this commitment. We work with an external partner, Team Dynamics, on training, individual and team coaching, and specific projects that help us make Placemaking a daily, lived practice – “to move from believing to doing.” This applies not only to how we understand and relate to each other at work, but also how we advance editorial perspectives, voices, and approaches in the content we produce and how we engage with our communities.
Six Grounding Virtues guide everything we do through The On Being Project. They are: words that matter, hospitality, humility, patience, generous listening, and adventurous civility. For us, virtues are not the stuff of saints and heroes. They are spiritual technologies and tools for the art of living.
The Studios team, which the Senior Producer will be joining, is comprised of the Host, Executive Producer, Senior Producer, Producer, 2 Producer/Technical Directors, Creative Director, and Associate Art Director. The Studios team is currently made up of 1 white first-generation Colombian-American immigrant cisgender woman; 1 first-generation Indian-American immigrant cisgender man; 1 white cisgender woman; 1 white cisgender woman of mixed and unknown ancestry from the middle of the USA; 2 white cisgender men; and 1 second-generation Vietnamese-American cisgender woman.
LOGISTICS OF THIS ROLE:
On Being Project is a distributed team, with some staff working in our Minneapolis office and others working remotely. The Senior Producer role can be based in Minneapoils or can be remote. Relocation assistance will be offered if moving to Minneapolis for the position, and the timing of relocating is currently flexible for safety related to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The Senior Producer will be provided an On Being Project laptop and related equipment, including the necessary production tools to do the job. All staff use personal cell phones for communication. This position has the physical requirements of sitting at a desk daily for multiple hours and repetitive motions using wrists and hands. The Senior Producer must be comfortable lifting up to 75 lbs. The On Being Project office in Minneapolis is located in Loring Park, and is an open floor plan with a mix of collaborative and quiet workspaces.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including health care coverage, 401k retirement plan, parking or public transportation subsidy, a flexible Paid Time Off (PTO) policy, and three weeks of office closure break (two summer weeks and one year-end week).
We have done our best to list all current duties for this position, however, this description is not guaranteed to be a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change or new ones may be assigned at any time with or without notice.
This job posting is based on a template provided by Team Dynamics, and is intended to be as thorough and transparent as possible. We welcome feedback on this posting.