Obesity has become a global epidemic; in the UK, we spend £9 billion a year alone on diseases like type 2 diabetes (that’s 10% of the NHS budget). What’s shocking is most of this is preventable – through sustained lifestyle and habit change.
Enter Second Nature.
We’re here to help people take control of their health. By bringing together behavioural science, technology, and incredible people, our grand mission is to eradicate the global epidemic of chronic lifestyle diseases once and for all.
Our digital habit change programme – delivered digitally through mobile and web apps – helps people to improve their lifestyle, lose weight, and ultimately reduce their risk for conditions such as type 2 diabetes.
We’re also one of the few consumer health brands that are also actively commissioned by the NHS (for us, it’s to help people living with type 2 diabetes).
We have just closed our Series A fundraising (Dec 2019). We have a team of 85 people, which will continue to expand over the coming years.
You can find out more about working with us here.
We're looking to build our product design team with talented, curious designers. You’ll grow our user base and our platform, seeing the impact your designs are having on improving people’s lives across the world on a daily basis.
We need someone who can tackle design problems from beginning to end. You'll be responsible for designing the mobile app, working closely with product, engineering, and growth, as well as our team of nutritionists and dietitians.
Not only will you help us build and grow our product, but also our design team. This is a very hands-on role with some management responsibilities and the position will evolve as the team grows.
What you'll do
- Lead on the designs of new features ‘end-to-end’ making even the most complex problem into visually simple solutions
- Lead user research to gather insights and create actionable next steps for the business
- Help to define and implement an inspiring, holistic product vision and design strategy to build delightful experiences for our users
- Champion user-centric design thinking across the company and maintain a collaborative design process
- Work closely with our product and engineering teams to make decisions on features we build
- Use quantitative data and user feedback to validate and iterate on features
- Identify gaps in both the product and the company to shape the future of what we do
- Manage and grow designers within the product team: this includes hiring and mentoring all levels of designers to deliver their best work
We’re looking for a Senior Product Designer who’s ambitious, hungry to learn, and passionate about making a positive difference in the world.
- You have experience designing successful products that people love
- You have demonstrable experience working on complex problems - you can tackle design problems autonomously, from beginning to end, from problem definition to iteration, through prototyping and user testing
- You have a good eye, capable of creating both low-fi sketches and pixel-perfect visual designs
- You have a clear rationale for your design decisions - everything is purposeful, you are strategic, analytical and a great problem solver
- You have hands-on experience with exploratory and evaluative qualitative research methods; you’ll have previous experience in running research projects and user testing, from planning and running the sessions to analysing and using findings to inform decisions
- You have empathy for customer needs but can also consider technical constraints and business goals
- You have excellent communication and storytelling skills, both in your design work and working across teams, engaging stakeholders across the design process
- You have a ‘get things done’ enthusiastic attitude, you take initiative, don’t wait to be asked and are willing to get stuck in
Please note that we are only accepting applications from UK residents
- There's plenty of opportunity for career progression
- We provide a personal development allowance
- You'll get exposure to the development of an early stage start-up
- You’ll have autonomy and responsibility for your work direction, and will provide direct input into how we should improve our product and the development of Second Nature
- You can see the impact your work is having on improving thousands of people’s lives and tackling the obesity epidemic on a daily basis
- You’ll be working with friendly and smart colleagues who are incredibly passionate about solving the type 2 diabetes epidemic
- Currently the entire team is working from home, but we've always offered a flexible working environment where you can work from home when you need to and would continue to do this in future
- We have regular company-sponsored socials (pub drinks, team dinners, board games and movie nights) - currently this is all remote but will hopefully be back to normal soon!