What excites us at OnDeck? Technology. Innovation. Small businesses. We believe in our employees and power their growth through being challenged every day and offering careers that inspire. We’re all about teamwork, passion and making an impact. Oh and having fun – Whether it’s a game of Ping-Pong, team get-togethers or weekly happy hours in the office.
OnDeck (ONDK) uses data aggregation and electronic payment technology to evaluate the financial health of small and medium sized businesses to efficiently deliver capital to a market underserved by banks. Through the OnDeck platform, millions of small businesses can obtain affordable loans. We are changing the way small businesses borrow money by combining our passion for Main Street with cutting-edge technology. We evaluate businesses based on their actual performance, not personal credit, and that’s enabled us to say “yes” more often and faster than traditional lenders.
In this role, your responsibilities will include:
Want to design delightful cross-platform products and experiences for customers on mobile (both native iOS and Android and responsive web) and desktop (responsive)? Read on.
Because we are a digital business, the OnDeck UX team designs the business and all the customer experiences. We are service designers, product designers, interaction designers and interface designers. We are responsive and know what our customers are doing and what platform they’re doing it on. That means quantitative, qualitative and analytical research. It also means lots of collaboration with product owners and developers. And because we’re agile, we are quick on our feet and know how to iterate. But most of all we are compassionate - we want to solve problems and solve them with integrity.
As a UX Designer, you’ll tackle complex tasks and transform them into intuitive, accessible, and easy-to-use designs for small business in the US, Canada, and Australia. Achieving this goal requires collaboration with teams of designers, researchers, engineers, and product managers throughout the design process — from creating user flows and wireframes to building user-interface mockups and prototypes.
In this role, your responsibilities will include:
- Your responsibility is to the user and you will care for them throughout the customer journey. You will empathize with and thoroughly understand the goals, desires and preferences of all of the OnDeck users. You will contribute to the UX practice at OnDeck and evolve the discipline to meet the needs our of products.
- When tasked, drive the native and mobile design efforts, across operating systems and languages, for all OnDeck users.
- Collaborate with product and development teams for tools and features that leverage the unique capabilities of mobile (native iOS and Android and responsive web) and desktop platforms.
- Design solutions using any means necessary: sketches, wireframes, full-fidelity and prototypes.
- Travel occasionally for collaborative sessions with remote development and design teams.
- Contribute to over-all growth of the UX team
- Contribute to the success and team dynamic of your product team with strategic solutions and recommendations, building consensus with strong story-telling and presentation skills
- You excel at team building and mentoring as well as guiding diverse creative talent.
- Facilitate and shepherd solutions in all phases of the product development lifecycle, including product ideation and definition, UX design, and user research and testing
- Estimate effort and know when to ask for support
- Own solutions by presenting work and rationale to stakeholders and being accountable to timelines and project needs and product synchronicity
- Make platform and display considerations that support the customer and business
- Conceptualize and articulate strong, user-centered and delightful interactions, while balancing the needs of the business and the capabilities of technology
- Nurture the customer journey and ensure a narrative holds the journey together
- Drive research initiatives, including drafting research plans and surveys, writing research screeners, conducting interviews and compiling research results
Qualifications for success:
- 5+ years of experience Degree in Interaction Design, Industrial Design, Motion, Graphic Design, HCI, or related field of study.
- Experience with Sketch, InVision, Adobe Create Suite (Axure a plus)
- Articulate why native is better than responsive
- Can explain difference between responsive and adaptive. And why sometimes native is better
- Can create a prototype
- Understand the cycles of an in-house designer
- Comfortable working in the Agile methodology and how UX fits into that practice
- Listen well and have excellent speaking and writing skills and can articulate your decision and design process
- You are respectful when challenging assumptions and give and receive feedback with equal grace
- Can estimate work, commit and deliver on deadlines and are vocal when risk arise
- You have a design aesthetic. Your documents are simple, informative and filled with value
- There is an attention to detail that borders on neurotic
- Curiosity that drives you to look at the world as a solution instead of just existing patterns and mental models
- Understand system design and can apply a design library as well as extend it. And you know the difference but like to flirt with the boundaries
What we offer you:
- Medical, dental, vision, and life benefits from day one.
- Paid/flexible sick-leave, vacations, and holidays so you can take off the time that you need when you need.
- Up to four months paid parental leave for all new parents. Adoption assistance with reimbursement of up to $5K. We want you to have time to bond with your new bundle of joy.
- Order lunch on us from Seamless. You can order what you want, when you want and from where you want.
- We’ll match your 401(k) contributions and offer a discount through our Employee Stock Purchase Plan. All to complement your personal financial strategy.
- We want to help advance your career. Take classes relevant to your job and the first $5K is on us.
- Enjoy our annual company summer party, holiday party and department quarterly outings.
- Semi-annual Hackathons to give our teams a fun way to innovate together and come up with awesome ideas.
- Our partnership with SoFi gives you access to student loan refinancing, personal loans and even mortgages.
- We work hard, we play hard. Build or join an OnDeck intramural club, group, and/or sports team and be part of our OnDeck Community.
- Fully stocked kitchens with free snacks & drinks.
OnDeck Stats & In the News:
- In 2015, OnDeck & JP Morgan Chase partner to offer small business loans, named the biggest deal in the history of marketplace lending
- Our first $3 billion in loans led to 74,000 jobs and $11 Billion in U.S. economic impact.
- On December 17, 2014 OnDeck rings in the biggest NYC tech IPO since 1999
- OnDeck was New York’s largest VC-backed tech exit ever
Awards we've received:
- Fortune.com and Great Place to Work 100 Best Workplaces for Millennials, 2015
- Fortune/Great Place To Work Great Rated! People’s Picks: 20 Great Workplaces in Financial Services, 2015
- Crain’s New York Best Places to Work, 2013, 2014, 2015
- Colorado SHRM Best Companies to Work For in Colorado, 2015
- Built in Colorado, Top 100 Digital Companies in Colorado, 2015
- Forbes’ America’s Most Promising Companies, 2013, 2014
- Selling Power Magazine Best Company to Sell For, 2013, 2014, 2015
- Inc. 500|5000, 2013, 2014
- Crain’s New York Business Fast 50, 2013, 2014
OnDeck provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, OnDeck complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
OnDeck expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of OnDeck’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
**No recruiters or agencies, please.**