Vox Media seeks a motivated and innovative Senior Rights Specialist to join our legal department. Working with the Director of Rights & Licensing, this position will assist Vox Media’s editorial teams, in-house creative agency, and developing entertainment division by providing rights and clearances support through risk assessment, third-party licensing agreements and negotiations, and advising on matters of fair use. The ideal candidate will be outspoken, an independent decision-maker comfortable with making judgment calls, and an expert in flexibility and compromise.
At Vox Media, you will be part of a quickly-expanding modern media company that values creativity, innovation, and the empowerment of individuals with the tools to excel. You will be working in a fast-paced, fun environment, and you will have an active role assisting Vox Media in bringing high-quality journalism to broader audiences.
- Provide guidance in matters of copyright and fair use across editorial content, video, and podcast productions; as well as commercial projects from the in-house creative studio.
- Work closely with new and developing entertainment media projects, assessing rights and clearance needs, providing research support, and advising on matters of budget projections, risk, and process.
- Engage with stakeholders across several departments to advise in rights-related matters for branded-content creation, identifying commercial vs. editorial requirements, and clearance matters.
- Facilitate acquisition of third-party image, footage, and music assets for use across editorial brands, creative agency, and video production.
- Assist in out-licensing of Vox Media intellectual property to third parties, assessing appropriate license fees for distribution consistent with editorial brand goals.
- Investigate and respond to defensive copyright disputes, managing negotiations and settlements as necessary.
- Proactively identify opportunities to revamp and hone license and release templates to incorporate new industry standards and meet evolving company needs.
- Lead research on various rights issues, best practice developments, and specific projects as they arise.
- Handle various other intellectual property-related functions as needed.
We’re looking for a candidate with diverse experience who is ready for a challenge. We think our ideal candidate may have these qualifications, but we are always willing to look outside the box to engage with unique and independent thought-partners. If you think you'd be a good fit for what we're looking for, contact us!
- 4-year Bachelor’s Degree
- 3+ years working with rights and clearances, production, intellectual property, licensing, or other relevant experience.
- Exposure to licensing and clearances in a variety of media environments, which may include both commercial and non-commercial editorial production.
- Demonstrated capability and disposition for independent decision-making, with eagerness to roll up your sleeves to get the job done.
- Capable of providing leadership both within the team and with business clients across the company.
- Strong desire to learn, a driving curiosity, and the ability to take new tasks in stride.
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment with the ability to turn around assignments quickly while juggling several on-going projects.
- Meticulous attention to detail, methodical analysis of complex situations, and dedication to the quality of work product.
- Superior oral and written communication skills.
- Creative, flexible, enthusiastic and innovative team player looking for a challenge.
This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefits. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees and to ensure that our healthcare and other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.