Ethos was built to make it faster and easier to get life insurance for the next million families. Our approach blends industry expertise, technology, and the human touch to find you the right policy to protect your loved ones. Using predictive analytics, we are able to transform a traditionally multi-week process into a modern digital experience for our users that can take just minutes!
Our investors include General Catalyst, Sequoia Capital, Accel Partners, Google Ventures, SoftBank, and the investment vehicles of Jay-Z, Kevin Durant, Robert Downey Jr and others. This year, we were named on CB Insights' Global Insurtech 50 list and BuiltIn's Top 100 Midsize Companies in San Francisco. We are scaling quickly and looking for passionate people to protect the next million families!
About the Role
The security and compliance team is responsible for safeguarding Ethos information assets, managing technology compliance, and ensuring the trust and safety of Ethos customers and employees. As an early member of the team, this is a great opportunity to shape the security vision for the organization and drive security innovation throughout the engineering team. You will work with interesting and challenging technologies and processes, define and implement security safeguards, and act as a security SME for the engineering team. You will wear many hats, from advisor to doer, and everything in-between!
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Partner with the DevOps team to orchestrate/automate security controls in the Ethos infrastructure/platform
- Lead the vulnerability management lifecycle at the infrastructure, platform, and application levels
- Develop components of the security analytics platform; monitor and evaluate operational alerts
- Participate in investigations, threat hunting, and incident response activities; build playbooks for specific incident response scenarios
- Assist with compliance activities, such as SOC2 control implementation and testing, vendor risk assessments, etc.
- Manage security solutions implemented in the enterprise
Qualifications and Skills:
- Strong communicator who can lead technical architecture discussions and help drive technical decisions
- Intimate familiarity with AWS and commonly used AWS services – KMS, Container Registry, ELBs, Lambda, API Gateway, CloudTrail, IAM, etc. Knowledge of GCP and/or Azure is a plus
- Ability to establish credibility and build trust with developers and operational staff; you are confident, without being arrogant
- Hands-on experience with microservices and associated orchestration -e.g. K8s, Nomand, Istio, etc., and understanding the operational concerns and opportunities associated with these technologies
- A non-dogmatic mindset
- Excellent understanding of both human and non-human identity management and common enterprise and consumer authentication standards/use cases
- Hands-on experience with CI/CD and DevOps tools -e.g., Terraform, Jenkins, GitHub, Chef, Ansible, etc.
- Passionate about learning new things – while you’re not expected to know everything you will face, it is expected that you will learn new things when appropriate
- Ability to write automation scripts, ideally in more than one language. Prior experience automating security processes in cloud environments
- Excellent understanding cryptography and key management common use cases
- Experience overseeing vulnerability/threat management activities at the infrastructure, platform, and application level. Prior oversight of a bug bounty platform or a managed penetration testing service is a significant plus
- Experience with penetration tests/red team exercises, ideally the type that involve manual verification, exploitation, lateral movement, etc.
- Ability to see the big picture, yet recognize the importance of details and make sure t’s are crossed and i's are dotted
- Expertise with event management/SEM solutions, data modeling associated with building event detection and alerting capabilities. You love metrics, and have investigated at least several incidents & feel comfortable with typical threat hunting/incident response tools and processes
Don’t meet every single requirement? If you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. At Ethos we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive and authentic workplace.
We are an equal opportunity employer who values diversity and inclusion and look for applicants who understand, embrace and thrive in a multicultural world. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the SF Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider employment for qualified applicants with arrests and conviction records.