Before we dive into the role, let’s talk about flexibility. At Zip, our office is in New York City but we can hire from anywhere across the United States. Our Zipsters can choose where and when they work by taking full advantage of our hybrid-work environment.
So whether you’re fully remote, mostly in the office or a mix of the two, you’ll be empowered to do whatever brings out your best.
We are Zip, a global Buy Now, Pay Later company providing fair and seamless solutions that simplify how millions of people pay. Our journey began in Australia, has taken us to multiple different markets and we’re just getting started.
We exist to create a world where people can live fearlessly today, knowing they’re in control of tomorrow. Focused on product innovation that puts people at the centre, we put the financial well-being of our customers and merchant partners at the heart of everything that we do.
🏠 This role – as are most all of our roles – is 100% REMOTE from anywhere in the United States 🏠
The Zip ecosystem
, with over 12 million customers and 94,000 merchants, is a rapidly scaling ecommerce platform built in C#, .NET Core, Azure, with an event-driven architecture and robust messaging frameworks. Presently, our EventStore instance has ~2.5 billion events in 15 projections.
Our technology organization is looking for a hands-on "Engineer-Mentor-Influencer" to help us create and continuously innovate, a highly scalable, lowest possible latency, highest reliability, and most secure platform ecosystem, that provides our rapidly growing customer base – consumers and merchants – with a retail/commerce experience that is second to none.
Be sure to read the "🔥 Current Hot Initiatives" below. Will your expertise allow you to solve these problems?
- Partner with software engineering, product, and architecture organizations to shape engineering approaches, and share their knowledge and experience in building highly scalable, low latency, reliable, and secure platforms.
- Develop and mentor other on-shore and off-shore software engineers; will likely serve as a technical leader for cross-functional projects.
- Own the technical strategy for broad or complex requirements with insightful and forward-looking approaches that go beyond the direct team and solve large open-ended problems; resolve technical conflict within and between multiple teams.
- Drive all aspects of technical architecture, design, prototyping and implementation in support of both product needs as well as overall technology strategy; responsible for department-wide design, patterns, and code approaches; proactively own features or systems and define their long-term health, while also improving the health of surrounding systems.
- Define the technology tool stack for the solution within a range of internally approved and supported technologies; proactively seek out ways to improve engineering standards, tooling, and processes.
- Develop and implement tests for ensuring the quality, performance, and scalability of our application; lead and are responsible for the end-to-end test strategy/creation/adherence, and the integration between teams.
- Assist support and operations teams in identifying and quickly resolving time-sensitive production issues.
- Represent engineering in cross-functional team sessions present sound and thoughtful arguments to persuade others; adapt to new situations and draw from a range of strategies to influence people in a way that results in agreement and/or behavior change.
- Collaborate and partner with product managers, designers, and other engineering groups to conceptualize, build new features, and create innovative product descriptions.
- Partner to validate the economic impact of design decisions.
- Support the company’s commitment to risk management and protecting the integrity and confidentiality of systems and data.
🔥 Current Hot Initiatives
- We’ll be working to implement a data archival and snapshotting strategy to reduce the size of our Event Sourcing database (EventStore) to be able to replay millions of transactions (we have ~2.5 billion events in 15 projections).
- Improve the performance of our projections libraries and other core libraries within our platform.
- Identifying and developing a plan for replacement for our projections streaming infrastructure.
- Simplifying areas of our engineering architecture to reduce areas of complexity (DDD, CQRS, Event Sourcing, Ports and Adapters) while still maintaining our current levels of performance.
- Improving our engineering tooling and developer experience by implementing frameworks to improve our testing strategy (component, integration, unit testing); and finding and creating ways to improve faster feedback loops for our engineering teams.
- 8-15+ years of experience in a large and complex application development environment involving complicated data schemas; the lower end of years of experience is for those with deep EventStore expertise.
- Experience designing/developing highly scalable systems in a CI/CD environment where code is pushed out every day.
- Significant thought leadership and hands-on experience with event-driven architecture and messaging frameworks (EventStore, Pub/Sub, Kafka, Pulsar, RabbitMQ, Azure ServiceBus, etc).
- Possess exceptionally strong Event Driven and Event Sourcing architecture experience – and you understand the tradeoffs of using Event Sourcing patterns.
- Working experience with cloud infrastructure (AWS, Azure, etc).
- Experience in application designs for complicated process flows.
- Experience analyzing and designing complicated Data/Object Relations.
- Advanced C# and .NET Core experience.
- Advanced Kubernetes experience (cnfc.io might be one of your favorite sites); you are intimate with the Kubernetes API and skilled at creating and modifying resources in a containerized environment.
- You are skilled at influencing and working in a collaborative team environment across multiple departments – technology, product, sales, marketing.
- You are a great team player who lives by mentoring others; you work equally well cooperatively or independently.
- Your brain adapts to new problems and you are a quick learner (you also enjoy investigating technical rabbit holes).
- Experience in financial, retail, ecommerce industries are a plus.
Pay Range: $161,000 to $223,000
The Pay Range for this position: Minimum - Maximum based on the industry benchmark for position, function, level and Zip's compensation strategies. However, actual base salary will depend on varying circumstances and individualized factors, such as job-related knowledge, skills, experience, and other objective business considerations. Subject to those same considerations, the total compensation package for this position may also include other elements, including a bonus and/or equity awards, in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits. If hired, employee will be in an 'at-will position' and the Company reserves the right to modify base salary (as well as any other discretionary payment or compensation or benefit program) at any time, including for reasons related to individual performance, Company or individual department/team performance, and market factors.
We’re proud to be a values-led business. They guide us in everything we do - how we work together and create game-changing experiences for our customers and fellow Zipsters.
If you only meet some of the requirements for this role, that's okay. We value a diverse range of backgrounds and ideas and believe this is fundamental for our future success. So, if you have the curiosity to learn and the willingness to teach what you know, we'd love to hear from you.
We pride ourselves on creating an inclusive workplace that provides equal opportunities to all persons regardless of their age, cultural background, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, veteran status, or anything else.
What’s in it for you?
We offer a variety of perks and benefits to support you at both work and home. Here’s a taste of what you can expect!
● Flexible working culture
● Share incentive programs
● 20 days PTO every year
● Generous paid parental leave
● Leading family support policies
● 100% employer covered insurance
● Beautiful Midtown office with a casual dress code
● Learning and wellness subscription stipend
● Company-sponsored 401k match
● Remote First Friendly!
We want to make sure our recruitment processes are accessible and inclusive for all people. If there's any adjustments that need to be made to ensure you have a fair and equal experience in our recruitment process please let your Talent Acquisition Partner know. We are also a proud 2023 Circle Back initiative employer and commit to respond to every applicant.
Join us on our mission to be the first payment choice, everywhere and every day.