Astrobotic, a space robotics company, is seeking a Senior Software Engineer to lead our effort to develop advanced robotics solutions for space. This position will be responsible for architecture, development, and testing of core algorithms and supporting software for Astrobotic's terrain relative navigation system that will enable precision landing on the Moon. Applicants should have a strong software engineering background and ideally a general knowledge of robotics or embedded topics including: perception, computer vision, state estimation, mechatronics, real-time control, or simulation.
The R&D team, Future Missions and Technology, is a collaborative working environment where each member of the team has a high degree of freedom, responsibility, and expectations. We are building solutions to challenging technical problems with the goal of making space more accessible to the world. The company has received more than 30 research contracts to date, and has seven current NASA and commercial contracts in autonomous precision landing, mobile robotics, GPS-denied navigation and mapping, multi-rover exploration and planning, lunar cave exploration, planetary drones, and high-performance computing.
Must be a U.S. person (citizen or permanent resident with green card). Applicants with strong work ethic and demonstrated ability to learn on the job are preferred.
- Software architecture and development of computer vision systems and robotic state estimation
- Full software life cycle testing, verification and validation including field testing and performance assessment of robotic software
- Leading design and code reviews, mentoring junior software engineers
- Working closely with NASA experts, university groups, and commercial clients
- Contributing to novel research and research proposals
- Presenting results to clients and the research community
- Strong experience with software design, object-oriented programming, and implementation in C++ (5+ years) and Python in a Linux environment
- Ability to work autonomously, learn on the fly, and take initiative in a fast-paced environment
- Proficiency in communication and technical writing
- B.S.+7 years, M.S.+4 years, or Ph.D.+2 years in Computer Science, Robotics, or a related field
- U.S. person status
- Experience with software configuration management and build systems
- Experience with hardware-in-the-loop testing, embedded development, and board support packages
- Exposure to robotics and embedded applications a plus
- Experience with robotics and computer vision frameworks a plus
- Experience with Kalman filtering or state estimation with factor graphs or sensor processing for IMUs, cameras, or LiDAR a plus
- Experience with unmanned aerial systems a plus
- Experience with robotics simulation environments a plus
- Experience with writing research and/or commercial proposals a plus