Type 2 diabetes has become a global epidemic; in the UK, we spend £9 billion a year alone (that’s 10% of the NHS budget) on treating this. What’s shocking is most of this is preventable – through sustained lifestyle and behaviour change.
Enter Second Nature.
We’re here to help people take control of their health. By bringing together behavioural science, technology, and incredible people, our grand mission is to eradicate the global epidemic of chronic lifestyle diseases once and for all.
We have just closed our Series A fundraising (Dec 2019). We have a team of 85 people (mostly UK based), which will continue to expand over the coming years.
We’re now looking for bright, impactful and empathetic engineers to join our team and engineer solutions to this epidemic.
You’ll architect and build features across our whole product. You’ll work closely with our health coaching and growth teams to fully understand our users. You’ll mentor junior engineers as the leader in your pod. You’ll leave your mark on our engineering culture with your technical leadership. You will keep growing yourself.
Who are you?
- You have 4+ years of software engineering experience
- You want to build a product that changes people’s lives
- You take ownership of product features from inception to release
- You are thorough and take pride in your work
- You appreciate software design as a craft but make pragmatic decisions when needed
- You build iteratively so you can see features in the hands of users within days
- You embrace being a generalist, working on both frontend and backend
- You adapt and enjoy the ride in a fast-changing start up environment
- You are empathetic, thoughtful and dedicated
- You never stop learning
As a bonus, we’d love it if you tick any of these boxes:
- You have a deep understanding of Node.js
- You have experience building complex infrastructure on AWS
- You have experience monitoring production infrastructure and applications
- You have have implemented lean management practices in your previous teams
- React Native for iOS and Android apps
- Node.js + Express for our API servers
- MongoDB our main database
- Next.js for our web frontend
- You can see the impact your work is having on improving thousands of people’s lives and tackling the obesity epidemic on a daily basis
- You’ll get to work with amazing, friendly, smart colleagues all incredibly passionate about solving the type 2 diabetes epidemic
- You’ll have autonomy and responsibility for your work direction
- Currently the entire team is working from home, but we've always offered a flexible working environment where you can work from home when you need to and would continue to do this in future
- We have regular company-sponsored socials (pub drinks, team dinners, board games and movie nights) - currently this is all remote but will hopefully be back to normal soon!
- You can find out more about working with us here.