Remote (based in India, Vietnam, Singapore or Taiwan)
Carousell Group is one of the world’s largest and fastest growing classifieds marketplace platforms across Southeast Asia, Taiwan and Hong Kong. Started in August 2012, Carousell Group began in Singapore and now has a leading presence in eight markets under the brands Carousell, Mudah, Chot Tot and OneKyat, serving tens of millions of monthly active users. Carousell Group is backed by Telenor Group, Rakuten Ventures, Naver and Sequoia Capital.
Our Common Technology Foundation (CTF) group is responsible for cloud and native infrastructure, systems reliability and security, developer tools and experience, and foundation platforms such as messaging and service frameworks. CTF’s mission is to enable our product development teams to efficiently build and operate reliable, scalable, high quality and impactful products and systems across all 8 countries and 4 marketplaces of the Carousell Group. The CTF group is composed of geographically distributed teams in Singapore, Vietnam, India, Malaysia and Taiwan.
About The Role
We are looking for a strong DevOps engineer to join the Carousell DevOps/SRE team (in the CTF group) to enhance our cloud native infrastructure services, operate high traffic production environments, help build quality and resiliency into our systems and improve developer experience and productivity.
The role can be remote or based out of any of our main developer sites: Singapore, HCMC, Bangalore, Taipei, Kuala Lumpur. But we must be able to legally employ you in one of these countries.
- Design and build core infrastructure components that power Carousell. This includes all layers of the stack: routing, services, storage etc.
- Automate all aspects of infrastructure deployment to ensure fast, error free and repeatable deployments.
- Design and deploy best in class monitoring and alerting systems to ensure easy troubleshooting when needed.
- Optimize performance of various components, including application code, databases, key-value stores, indexing engines etc.
- Ensure high availability of the Carousell infrastructure will minimizing cost
- Set high standards for engineering throughout the company and mentor junior engineers.
- At least 5 years of experience as a software engineer with relevant experience working in systems engineering
- Strong experience in building scalable systems. Experience with microservices and exposure to highly available web scale systems is a must
- Knowledge of modern tech stacks. Strong, hands on programming skills: Go, Python, Bash Java
- Strong knowledge of storage technologies, including databases (Postgres), key value stores (Cassandra etc), caching systems (Redis) and search engines (Elasticsearch)
- Experience of working with cloud environments
- Experience working with containers (Kubernetes) and distributed service tooling (ex Istio)
- Strong knowledge of distributed systems. Should be able to reason for data consistency and availability
- Strong general Computer engineering fundamentals (OS, networking, data storage)
- User obsession and empathy
- Focus on impact and results. You work on the right things and get them done
- Drive and resourcefulness to persevere and overcome obstacles achieving challenging goals
- High integrity and ability to positively collaborate with others
- Ability to speak and write succinctly and clearly