Welcome to Timbre!
We are Timbre Games (part of the Sumo Digital Group), a new studio in Vancouver, Canada focused on making exciting, innovative game experiences. Timbre’s vision is to change the games industry through the original games we make, as well as how we make them. We’re building an inclusive, supportive culture that allows us to explore fresh, new (and sometimes weird) ideas. We’re searching for more visionary explorers to join our team of diverse voices, coming together to develop games that are accessible to a wide audience.
If you’re thinking about your next adventure, send us your resume to talk to our team about how you can add your voice to the games we’re working on.
Engineering at Timbre Games
An Engineer at Timbre games will focus on creative, innovative and technically sound work. Our engineering team is fully integrated with all areas of game development and collaborates both technically and creatively. Our studio focuses on Unreal Engine 5, pushing everything we do towards technical excellence. We are lifelong learners, leaning on both internal expertise and external inspiration to continue our path of growth and development. We have a keen eye for best practices and elegant code, and ensure knowledge sharing, and mentoring are a priority.
As a Senior Software Engineer - Gameplay, you will occupy a pivotal role in shaping the very essence of our games. Your canvas will be our virtual universes, and your tools will be your profound technical expertise and creative brilliance. Collaborating seamlessly with our design visionaries, artists, and fellow engineers, you will breathe life into our digital landscapes, ensuring that every interaction is not just a work of art but an unforgettable experience.
As a Senior Software Engineer - Gameplay you will:
- Architect, develop, and maintain gameplay systems and mechanics with a focus on performance, scalability, and meticulous documentation
- Collaborate with team members of various disciplines to design and implement proposed gameplay features and develop those features from prototype to production, encompassing player controls, character behavior, combat and conflict resolution, narrative systems, etc.
- Conduct thorough debugging, profiling, and optimization of gameplay code to ensure a smooth and enjoyable player experience
- Write beautiful C++ code, and create beautiful Blueprints, that are clean, clear, performant and aligns with industry best practices
- Playtest and iterate on gameplay systems, collecting and incorporating feedback to refine and improve the overall player experience
- Support our studio culture and values by mentoring other programmers on best practices and learnings, fostering a culture of technical excellence and continuous learning
What you Bring:
- A proven track record of professional game development experience with a primary focus on gameplay engineering
- Strong proficiency with C++ and Unreal Engine, including its Gameplay Ability System, workflows, Blueprints and plugins
Creator of Clarity: You possess the ability to communicate complex technical concepts with clarity; your documentation and code are testaments to your commitment to transparency and precision, enabling efficient collaboration within the team
Pursuer of Fun: You have a passion for creating enjoyable gameplay experiences. Your work demonstrates a dedication to delivering fun and engaging gameplay mechanics that captivate players and leave a lasting impression
Diversity Champion: You promote diverse representation in game characters, storylines, and development teams. Your have experience collaboratively with diverse teams, valuing varied perspectives and contributing to a creative environment that welcomes everyone's unique insights and talents
Visionary Explorer: You've demonstrated an ability to push boundaries, experiment with cutting-edge technologies, and envision the future of games development. You have a visionary approach that leads to the creation of groundbreaking gameplay mechanics, unique game concepts, or the adaptation of emerging trends
What you'll gain:
Timbre aims to foster a workplace environment that empowers our team to do their best creative work. Below are a list of some of the benefits we offer to ensure you reach your full potential. As we continue to grow, we are co-creating more values-driven benefits to support our team.
• Competitive salary & comprehensive health benefits, including extended health, dental, vision, life and AD&D insurance, short / long-term disability, 24/7 counselling through an employee assistance program and a health spending account available to you from your first day
• Annual bonus & up to 5% RRSP matching available to you from your first day
• Flexible paid time off, plus holiday closure between Christmas and New Years, as well as National Day for Truth and Reconciliation
• Work with us in Vancouver or remotely across Canada, utilizing our $500 work from home allowance
• 1 year gaming subscription and weekly gaming days
• My Pathway - a Career Development Program to provide a clear path for you to grow at Timbre
• 8 learning days per year and unlimited access to Udemy online courses
• A values driven culture with direct access to leadership
Timbre’s Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
Timbre Games is located in beautiful Vancouver, BC, Canada and on the traditional, ancestral, and unceded territories of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and Sel̓íl̓witulh (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations. Although our roots are in Vancouver, we work with a remote, distributed team across Canada. If you are interested in an opportunity at Timbre Games but are not presently residing in Canada, please note that we may be able to offer assistance in immigrating / relocating under the right conditions.
Timbre Games is an equal opportunity employer and considers all candidates for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship, age, disability, marital status, military or veteran’s status (including protected veterans, as may be required by federal law), sexual orientation or any other category protected by law. We celebrate all backgrounds and attributes that make us unique and amazing - in this world and the ones we create!
At Timbre, we try to be mindful and not set unrealistic requirement expectations in order to apply. If you don’t tick all of the boxes of the role that you’re excited about, we encourage you to send your resume to our General Application inbox on our careers page
, or, follow Timbre on LinkedIn
to stay in touch with our newest openings.
Accommodations will be provided as requested by candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
If what we’ve shared above resonates with you, connect with us today!