Harry’s is looking for a talented Senior Software Engineer to join our nascent Messaging team. The Messaging team at Harry’s is responsible for building services and capabilities that allow us to send personalized lifecycle and transactional messages to customers in sophisticated ways across Email, Push Notifications, SMS, collateral that we place in shipments, and more.
Systems and software you build will help us serve thoughtful and delightful customer experiences in a way our retail competitors cannot. It will drive up customer retention and lifetime value: a chief concern of our growing business.
Are you enthusiastic about this problem space? Are you an experienced systems engineer? If so, we’d love to speak with you!
Your responsibilities will include:
- Working closely with our Retention Marketing & Product Management teams, and the rest of Harry’s Engineering to solve customer messaging problems.
- Designing and building systems that process gobs of customer data and deliver welltimed personalized messages through: email service providers, the Apple push notification service, our own fulfillment software.
- Building CI, deployment pipelines, and managing operations for the above.
- Mentoring engineers and setting the bar for how we build products at Harry’s
Your technical skill set and/or experience should include:
- Experience writing Scala (required) and Ruby (a plus)
- Depth of experience using RBDMSes in production, and familiarity with tradeoffs in using other ‘NoSQL’ technologies (e.g. MongoDB, ElasticSearch)
- Experience using data processing technologies in production (e.g. Spark, Hadoop)
- Experience using message queueing technologies in production (e.g. RabbitMQ)
- Experience using caching technologies in production (e.g. Redis, Memcached)
Don’t have direct experience with some of the above, but have experience with and are keen on developing distributed systems?
This might describe you:
- You’re deeply curious and love to learn.
- You enjoy solving customer and business problems, are keen to use your software engineering chops to that end, and want to ship.
- You want to work with talented individuals across problem domains and engage with problems outside writing software.
- You’re a clear and effective communicator of technical ideas and tradeoffs, and you take care and time to get your points across.
- You can check your ego at the door, and like working with teams where that is the norm.