We are a small, fast-paced team building the world's first consumer genomics platform. We believe the time is right to create a secure and feature-rich platform for consumers to directly access and learn about their own genomes.
Come join our team to help ship truly impactful software, powering genomic access to millions of consumers. Through an ecosystem of high-quality content partners, we are enabling a wide range of novel applications. We are building high-quality, scalable systems to accurately and securely pipeline vast amounts of genetic data, surface simple and elegant developer APIs, and open a one-of-a-kind DNA store.
What you'll be working on:
Bringing up a high-throughput genetics laboratory using next-generation sequencing
Scaling up bioinformatics pipelines to curate and annotate genetic sequences at orders-of-magnitude more data than has ever been captured
Developing a secure cloud-based platform and ground-breaking applications for people to access their DNA
Empowering consumers to discover a trusted ecosystem of world-class application partners
Building consumer-scale web services to deliver next-generation sequencing data
Architecting a robust distributed systems design that is highly secure and performant
What’s important to us:
- Curiosity - we are all passionate about the possibilities enabled by having access to your own genome
- Responsibility - we have an obligation to people and our partners to operate with highly credible research guided by well respected advisors, with clear and effective communication about our products
- Agility - flexibility and a desire to be nimble, smart, and effective are important to the Helix culture
- Experience - we’re building a team with amazing track records of achievement in multidisciplinary environments
What we’re looking for:
- A passion for improving people’s lives through access to better information about their DNA
- 7+ years development experience in Java, C#, or C++
- Interest or experience in Golang
- Experience building service oriented architectures
- Experience architecting large, high-scale back end systems
- Senior leaders who enjoy mentoring other engineers
- Proficiency with distributed systems built on cloud infrastructure (AWS, Azure, Google Cloud)
- Command of data modeling, data stores (relational, NoSQL), query optimization
- Experience developing APIs and SDKs
- Affinity for an engineering culture that emphasizes Agile, DevOps, and continuous delivery
- BS+ in Computer Science required; coursework in genetics/bioinformatics a plus
- Great problem-solving skills and experience with some or all of these areas: software platforms, consumer applications, genomics.
What Helix can offer you:
- Competitive compensation, including meaningful equity
- Great benefits, including medical, dental and vision
- 401k with employer matching (up to 4%)
- 12 weeks paternity and maternity leave
- Generous vacation policy
- Commuter benefits
- Goofy co-workers
- Gym subsidies
Helix is a rapidly growing startup focused on personal genomics. Helix has a simple but powerful mission: to empower every person to improve their life through DNA. We’re creating an ecosystem where people can explore diverse and uniquely personalized applications provided by high-quality partners. Helix handles sample collection, DNA sequencing, and secure data storage so that our partners can develop on-demand products in areas such as health, fitness, nutrition, lifestyle, genealogy, and inherited traits. Helix is headquartered in the San Francisco Bay Area and operates one of the world’s largest next-generation sequencing laboratories in San Diego.
You can learn more at www.helix.com or follow us on twitter.
Equal Opportunity Employer