Founded in 2008, Airbnb’s mission is to create a world where people can belong through healthy travel that is local, authentic, diverse, inclusive and sustainable. Airbnb uniquely leverages technology to economically empower millions of people around the world to unlock and monetize their spaces, passions and talents to become hospitality entrepreneurs. Airbnb’s accommodation marketplace provides access to 5+ million unique places to stay in more than 81,000 cities and 191 countries. With Experiences, Airbnb offers unprecedented access to local communities and interests through 15,000 unique, handcrafted activities run by hosts across 1,000+ cities around the world. Airbnb's people-to-people platform benefits all its stakeholders, including hosts, guests, employees and the communities in which it operates.
In order to build the world's most loved travel company, we need the world's most interesting and talented people. Are you one of them? If so, we want to talk to you!
Site Reliability Engineering at Airbnb:
Site Reliability Engineers (SREs) are responsible for the overall performance and reliability of Airbnb's infrastructure and products. SREs design and implement the tools that automate building reliable and performant systems.
What makes Site Reliability Engineering different at Airbnb?
- We emphasize building tools over manual processes. We create, not operate. Things should go from repeatable to automated quickly
We're rooted in open source (http://airbnb.io/) and give as much back to the community as possible with both new and contributions to existing projects
- Our job is to focus on building reliable infrastructure and tools for our product teams so that they can focus on solving user problems and new features, not reinventing platforms
- SREs don't sit on the other side of the tossing fence -- we're a first class engineering citizen and help lead our infrastructure focus
What are some examples of Site Reliability Engineering work at Airbnb?
- Develop self service tooling to allow product engineering teams to efficiently utilize resources when launching applications in our Kubernetes clusters
- Develop an AWS Cost Attribution framework that allows teams to understand the costs associated with running their service
- Work with product engineering teams on design and implementation choices of large scale distributed systems
- Automate as much as humanly possible and always configure as code
- Bring ideas to life (i.e. production) to help make the lives of engineers better
- Predict our future failures and work proactively to mitigate them
- Advocate and implement reliable design patterns (circuit breakers, graceful degradation, etc.)
Some examples of SRE projects are:
- Working on our next generation internal platform for efficiently automating our AWS infrastructure for ease of use by our product engineers
- Automating our alerts configuration tool for Datadog to work with dynamic thresholds
- Optica, a tool for keeping track of nodes in an infrastructure
- Building automation around determining the causation and correlation of events in our infrastructure
The following experience is relevant to us:
- 10+ years of industry experience
- Knowledge of AWS services
- Experience bringing software to production at high scale
- The knack for writing, clean, readable, maintainable code
- An eye for automation and instrumentation
- The ability to decompose complex systems and find failure scenarios
- Great communication skills
- Contributions to open source software
- Competitive salaries
- Quarterly employee travel coupon
- Paid time off
- Medical, dental, & vision insurance
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Fitness Discounts
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Apple equipment
- Commuter Subsidies
- Community Involvement (4 hours per month to give back to the community)
- Company sponsored tech talks and happy hours
- Much more..