We’ve created allplants to make eating more plants a supremely positive choice that is delicious, healthy, accessible and full of joy: an inclusive celebration of food and life: a fiesta, not a fast. Through our food and website we make it delicious and easy for anyone to make the switch towards plants one dish or day at a time, with delicious, chef-made, plant-based food straight from our kitchen to yours.
Already the leading plant-based living platform in Europe we’ve served millions of meal-times to homes UK-wide, subscribing for feel-good, healthier living. Our plans for 2021 and beyond are as exciting as they are delicious - growing our kitchen and product range to serve our expanding community of allplants people at pace!
allplants is one of only a handful of venture capital backed B-Corps in the world, dedicated to leveraging high growth principles in order to help solve the climate crisis at scale, using business as a force for good. Our chefs and creative food puts us at an exhilarating frontier of culinary invention, creating new plant-based delights to help anyone make the step towards trying out vegan for size - the fastest way to boost your health and chop down your food carbon footprint (by 35% with just one meal per day!). Our team of +140 cook, taste, create and (usually when not in lockdown) operate from The Greenhouse, our HQ in North London.
*no recruiters, thanks
This Senior Software Engineer role is an essential addition to the allplants Engineering team; you will take a major role in defining, creating and owning key Python-based applications and bring essential expertise into our team to help us continue to create modern, fast, and reliable systems.
Our Python API and platform are integral to our business. In the coming months we will extend that API to provide more functionality to frontend services, create new microservices, replatform from outgrown systems, and continue to level-up our dev-ops, scalability and security.
You will be reporting into Barney Jackson, our Head of Engineering. You can find out a bit more about him here
COVID-19 Update: All members of the engineering team will be working from home until at least the end of August 2020, and interviews during that time will be conducted using video call and other tools.
The salary for this role is based on our internal frame work and is up to £75,000 depending on experience
have ownership throughout
- Be hands-on with Python services crucial to allplants’ day-to-day functioning
- Coordinate the planning, execution and release of projects, working closely with the Product team
- Take a leading role in developing strategy for our APIs, infrastructure, and integrations
be a team player
- Work in cross-functional squads with frontend engineers, Product and Marketing to iteratively create sector-leading digital experiences
- Use your expertise to coach junior engineers and level-up our team
- Contribute to hiring and further building out our team of outstanding engineers
- Define how we monitor our API and platform and maintain excellent uptime and response times
- Help us refine our existing development and team processes to work even smarter
- Pursue managerial responsibilities and/or continued individual contribution
- A track record of building extensible Python applications at start-ups or scale-ups
- Proficient with at least one Python web/API framework
- Confident with a common SQL database, such as PostgreSQL or MySQL
- Ability to effectively trade-off quality and execution speed
- A passion for applying best practices
- Desire to share knowledge and enable others
- Experience working in microservice architecture
- Bonus points for experience building APIs in Flask
The qualifications and experiences above are a guide and we’d still love to hear from candidates with more or less experience, provided the requisite skills can be demonstrated.
Candidates must have the right to work in the UK.
- Be part of a growing b-corp startup and help shape the future of food
- 32 days holiday a year (including Bank Holidays)
- 10 weeks of full pay for maternity/paternity leave
- Employer contributions to your pension plan
- We all have a meaningful bit of allplants that we own
- Healthy food and lunches every day at HQ and lots of allplants tastings (!) from our exceptional in-house chef and development teams
- Quarterly socials (we love a good party!) and weekly staff-led activities (football club, netball league and PT sessions in the park)
- A free monthly tasting delivery of allplants for everyone to taste what's cooking!
Do I need to be vegan to work here?
No, you don’t! We’re an open-minded bunch and welcome all diets from plant curious to raw foodist, as long as you resonate with our mission to inspire people to eat more plants!
Where are you based?
Our office, The Greenhouse, is based about 10-minute walk from Blackhorse Road station on the Victoria Line.
However, at the moment our office based staff are working remotely.
What are your working hours?
This varies between teams (for instance our chefs work in shifts which cover from 6am to 10pm, and our new nightshift will be structured to run for 8 hours across the evening) but our standard office hours are 9am-6pm, Monday to Friday. We embrace flexible working and adopt a ‘core hours’ model which is implemented differently from team-to-team.
How can I contact if I have more questions?
a fair chance
Every role in the allplants team is open to applications from all sections of society. We believe in the superpowers and potential of everyone; regardless of race, religion or belief, ethnic origin, different physical ability, family structure, socio-economics, age, nationality or citizenship, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other difference that makes you, well, you.
More than just encouraging your application, we're committed to conscious inclusion that (we hope) cultivates an ethos of belonging, connection and shared purpose. It’s this philosophy that drove us to contribute to a better world through our allplants purpose and mission, and we open our doors to those who share these motivations.