Site Reliability Engineers (SRE) at Algolia are both software and systems engineers that ensure we can reliably serve billions of queries every day, for users all around the world, despite datacenters being unavailable and undersea cables being cut. As we operate many services including our Search API, Places, DocSearch and Analytics, you’ll keep learning new things everyday and share what you have learned.
The platform we develop uses both virtual and bare-metal systems spanning over 50 data centers in 15 different regions serving millions of users from every corner of the globe. Since search is a critical component of many applications, the SRE team maintains a high level of expertise in system failures in order to prevent them and provide reliable service to our customers.
No two problems are the same because all the systems evolve all the time. We expect you to be a resilient problem solver who isn’t afraid to think outside of the box and use the knowledge of system interactions in your favor. You’ll also take ownership of complete projects and execute them.
The team is composed of engineers with different backgrounds and experience both in the industry and academia. The diversity works in our favour and you should increase it by bringing your experience, your knowledge and your point of view. Thinking differently is a plus, not a minus. We’re transparent with each other and to other teams both about our success and our failures. This way we learn, we accept our weaknesses and continuously strive to improve both personally and professionally.
Coming right from Sergio, from the SRE team: “If you want to grow yourself into a multidisciplinary environment, Algolia is the place to be. Our SRE team ensures the infrastructure is up and running with the minimum downtime possible. We use the right tool for the right job, with a strong value for ownership, you build and you run it. Besides we have a really flexible schedule, organize your day as you wish”.
YOUR ROLE WILL CONSIST OF:
- Work with other teams to identify, troubleshoot, and resolve high impact issues
- Evaluate performance of current and future systems, both software and hardware
- Participate in design of new systems
- Develop and maintain the automation framework used for all systems
- Participate in on-call rotation to ensure fast response to production issues
A typical morning for Sergio looks like : "We have one sync meeting per week for our squad, where we know what each member of the team is working on or we comment the issues of the last on-call. The rest of the day I organize to work on the projects I'm involved"
YOU MIGHT BE A FIT IF YOU HAVE:
- 4+ years of software engineering experience
- Knowledge of Shell scripting and at least one scripting language (Python, Ruby, etc.)
- Willing to learn Go (golang)
- Understanding of Linux systems: I/O, process scheduling, filesystems
- Understanding of computer networks: TCP/IP, DNS, load-balancing
- Full professional English proficiency
- Rigor in high code quality, automated testing, and other engineering best practices
- Ability to make independent decisions and taking ownership for them
NICE TO HAVE:
- Knowledge of Go (golang)
- Ability to use a configuration management tool like Ansible, Puppet or Chef
- Knowledge of low level principles of computers and network components
- Performance profiling of applications both in development and production
- Knowledge of cloud platforms such AWS / GCP / Azure
We’re looking for someone who can live our values:
- GRIT - Problem-solving and perseverance capability in an ever-changing and growing environment
- TRUST - Willingness to trust our co-workers and to take ownership
- CANDOR - Ability to receive and give constructive feedback.
- CARE - Genuine care about other team members, our clients and the decisions we make in the company.
- HUMILITY- Aptitude for learning from others, putting ego aside.
- Private Medical Insurance
- Life and Disability Insurance
- Business Travel Insurance
- Relocation support
- Company Canteen (high standard)
- Flexible work hours and unlimited time off
- Competitive pay and equity
- Coaching and sponsorship to participate and speak at leading industry conferences
- Ongoing professional education opportunities through internal & external workshops, including public speaking, language learning (English/French)
- Fun: we spend time together — team building, socializing and making tools that encourage getting to know teammates across offices and continents.
- Charitable contribution matching
- Unique referral rewards program: refer a candidate, and we’ll donate to your charity of choice
- Corporate flats available for the first months of relocation and when you travel to different offices
- Fully stocked kitchens
- Team workouts
- Meals & happy hours