We're looking for an experienced Site Reliability Engineer to play an integral role on our DevOps team at Disqus. The ideal person is obsessed with uptime and site speed and has years of experience with server hardware and Linux systems. At the same time, you are passionate about working with development engineers to get more done faster with less trouble.
Disqus reaches over 1 billion unique visitors a month. You'll be working on large scale challenges immediately as well as make a huge, lasting impact on all technical decisions.
This role is based out of our San Francisco office and reports to the VP of Engineering.
What You'll Do
- Lead our server-side infrastructure, including configuring Linux systems (e.g. packaging) and dealing with hardware.
- Be directly responsible for site reliability
- Participate in 24/7 on-call rotation (be available by phone or email in case something goes wrong)
- Troubleshoot issues with hardware, software, applications and network
- Work with engineers on product decisions and troubleshooting, but primarily work independently
- Determine and document current and future configuration processes and policies
- Help make infrastructure decisions with optimal performance and price in mind
- Help improve the development organization’s ability to rapidly and safely deploy code
- Architect and build our systems for maximum productivity and scalability
What We're Looking For
- Proven ability to build large, reliable, scalable infrastructure -- you've directly contributed to scaling a highly-trafficked website or web application
- Extensive knowledge of Linux (we use Ubuntu and Debian) and 5+ years of system administrator experience
- PostgreSQL, Slony, pgbouncer; also non-relational such as Cassandra
- Nginx, HAProxy, Varnish, Memcached
- Knowledge of shell scripting and Python (familiarity with Django is a plus)
- Great communication skills. Ability to get everyone on the same page quickly and effectively.
- (Nice to have) A relevant university degree is great, but we care more about industry experience and knowledge
- (Nice to have) Previous work experience in a startup environment
- (Nice to have) Previous leadership experience within a development focused operations team
What you’ll get from us
- The opportunity to make enormous impact on our business. We boast one of the largest user to employee ratios in the biz (hovering around 22 million users per employee!)
- A chance to join a community of people who are passionate about great discussions -- and are building the best place on the web to talk about things that matter.
- A company culture that values learning from one another, exhibiting a generous spirit, and bringing our authentic selves to work. Our collective breadth of experience allows us to make a bigger impact -- we are greater than the sum of our parts.
- Generous total compensation packages for each employee. Some highlights include fully-covered health, dental and vision plans; flexible work hours and unlimited PTO, including up to 12 weeks of paid parental leave; and competitive salary and stock options.
- Perks to keep you at your best, including daily catered lunch and a fully stocked kitchen, weekly in-office yoga and massage, a bountiful equipment and workstation policy, and access to resources to help you learn, from a learning stipend to a well-stocked library.
- Great office location in SoMa, which is easily accessible by BART, MUNI, Caltrain and Transbay buses.
We love the internet, and the colorful characters and interesting conversations that make up its diverse communities. Disqus exists to make better communities and an even better web. Today, our product ecosystem includes our established comment network (over 3 million websites that cover pretty much any topic imaginable), a growing advertising network, and our owned and operated platform. Originally founded in 2007 by CEO Daniel Ha and CTO Jason Yan, we’re changing the way people get into discussions about the things they love -- or are just curious about. Come join us!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.