CannonDesign has an exciting opportunity for a Senior Systems Engineer based in our Chicago, IL office. Take a look at the description below. If you think your skills and experience make you a good match for this position, we’d love to hear from you. We’re looking for creative, curious, empathetic people to join our Living-Centered Design movement.
ABOUT OUR FIRM
CannonDesign is an integrated design solutions firm focused on helping people continuously flourish. Whether designing for innovations in health, new scientific discoveries, equity in education or the next big idea in business, we use our Living-Centered Design approach to help organizations realize widespread change. Our ability to design transformational places, plans and strategies is why Fast Company named us a World Changing Company and one of the most innovative design firms in the world.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The ideal Senior Systems Engineer is a fully competent technical person in all conventional aspects of the functional area of assignments, performs non-routine technical support activities in area of expertise; works independently with minimal guidance.
Works closely with professional staff and engages in decision making in technical aspects of work; provides supervision and mentoring for less experienced staff. Champion the corporate vision. Foster positive relationships. Create a unified stimulating and rewarding environment. Achieve quality objectives. Meet project goals.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
- Consult with other technology team members (servicedesk, apps team, design technology team) to determine present and future infrastructure needs.
- Identify areas of operation that need upgraded software and platforms.
- Monitor system performance and provide security measures, troubleshooting and maintenance as needed.
- Ensure systems are properly secured to industry best practices and patch level.
- Test and evaluate hardware and software to determine efficiency, reliability and compatibility with existing system and make purchase recommendations.
- Stay updated on technology through technical journals and vendor resources.
- Provide assistance with standard firm software deployments to VDI.
- Routinely monitor, backup systems and perform file restores when necessary.
- Assist with implementation of new technologies under the direction of department head.
- Position may require occasional travel to datacenter sites.
- May handle other responsibilities as needed.
ABOUT YOUR QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree in information technology or equivalent work experience preferred.
- Minimum 10 years of experience as a Systems Engineer or equivalent role.
- VMware VCP, VMware DTM Desktop Management, or Azure Infrastructure (Server Virtualization) certification preferred.
- Strong ability to lead long term IT infrastructure projects and initiatives.
- Strong IT troubleshooting skills across Microsoft server and VMware stack.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to interface with outside stakeholders.
- Strong knowledge of networking concepts TCP/IP, DNS, DHCP.
- Ability to install and configure Windows Server 2022 in a domain environment and migrate older versions to latest standard.
- Knowledge of Windows 10/11 desktop OS large scale deployment methods.
As a Federal Contractor, CannonDesign is required to comply with President Biden's Executive Order 14042. Therefore, as a condition of employment, all employees must provide proof of receipt of a full COVID-19 vaccination unless qualified for a valid medical or religious accommodation.
ABOUT WORKING HERE
- We are relentless in our pursuit of client adoration (not simply satisfaction). Consistent delivery of the best service is what we are about.
- We are committed to ensuring our practice is equitable for all employees, representative of the communities around us – and focused on the future of design. We advocate for equity, diversity, and inclusion efforts through the leadership of our DEI Council, Employee Resource Groups and other community advocacy initiatives.
- We’re about communication and transparency here. If you want to talk to someone about an idea you have, or a challenge that needs addressing, we’re ready for you.
Please note that candidates can only apply to our positions on our company Careers site. It's not uncommon for scammers to create positions that look legitimate on other sites; never enter your information or apply for CannonDesign positions on any platform. Should an issue arise that you feel we should be aware of, please contact us. Please provide your resume and portfolio when applying.
As a condition of employment, all employees are expected to complete mandatory training, including compliance training, within required timeframes and adhere to our internal policies and our Code of Conduct.
CannonDesign recognizes the value of diversity in our workforce. We are committed to equal opportunity. We consider all qualified employment applicants without regard to race, religion, color, gender, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, partnership status, protected veteran status, disability, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law. Individuals who hold legal work authorization applicable to employment at CannonDesign in the United States will be considered without regard to citizenship/alienage.