The job in short
At the Global Headquarters of Backbase in Amsterdam, we have an open Tax Manager position. The Tax Manager will report to the Vice President of Finance. You are responsible for the global tax strategy and its implementation/compliance at Backbase. Through your role, you ensure Backbase is in control of all taxes and timely compliance with all tax-related obligations. You lead a team of (1) tax specialists (for now), develop policies & frameworks, identify global tax risks, implement tax maintaining tools, optimize existing processes, etc. You are a subject matter expert and a tax advisor at Backbase.
Meet the job
- Setting out medium- and long-term tax strategy, given international, regional, and country-specific developments, also in the context of the discussions around the fair taxation of the digital economy- in conjunction with the evolution of the business.
- Develop, monitor, and maintain tax design behind the corporate structure of Backbase, especially in light of international tax developments such as BEPS 2.0: Pillar 1 and 2.
- Be the subject matter expert on tax matters within Backbase (CIT, VAT, WHT, Wage Tax)
- Act as key tax advisor and provide tax support to business (Sales), business support (Finance/HR), and overall Backbase.
- Developing and maintaining a clear, effective, and efficient Tax policy and Tax Control Framework.
- Optimising Transfer Pricing structures and supporting documentation (including master and local files & compliance).
- Identifying, assessing, reporting, and managing global tax risks.
- Monitoring and managing the global tax positions and tax rate.
- Manage the team in clearing the tax numbers during the year-end external audit and tax return filings and ensure that the Financial records in NetSuite reflect the correct tax positions (incl. deferred tax).
- Manage tax audits and legislation, including negotiations with local tax authorities.
- Develop, implement, and maintain tax (reporting) tools.
- Ensuring Backbase controls all taxes and promptly complies with all tax-related obligations like long- and medium-term budgeting, accounting, reporting, analytics, filing, audits, and settlements.
- Drive, tax technology initiatives.
- Liaise with tax advisers in all jurisdictions and ensure effective use of external advisors- in terms of quality and costs.
How about you?
- University degree in tax law or fiscal economics
- More than eight years of work experience, including several years as senior tax advisor / Big -4 experience.
- Good understanding of Transfer pricing and driving rulings with the tax office.
- Excellent understanding of Dutch corporate income tax, VAT, and international taxes, including WHT.
- Good understanding of accounting concepts, tax accounting, and processes, Advance knowledge of tax accounting and financial reporting processes.
- Able to communicate highly tax technical concepts to non-specialists (sales, legal, HR) clearly and comprehensively.
- Experience in driving WBSO, R&D Credit, Innovation box rulings.
- Excellent command of Dutch and English, both verbal and written.