Strava is comprised of dedicated, fun-loving individuals, unified by our mission to build the most engaged community of athletes in the world. And it feels like we’re on to something big. Millions of athletes are already on Strava, with thousands more joining every day, and we’ve assembled an awesome team to keep us growing all around the world. Strava is the Swedish word for “strive,” which epitomizes our attitude and ambition: We’re a passionate community, committed to our athletes, each other, our business, and the deeply held belief that there’s always time for a run, ride, coffee, or all three.
We’re looking for a passionate and strategic User Experience Designer to help us understand how people interact with and experience Strava. You will become a key member of Strava’s product design team, helping us learn how customers use our product, turning these insights into engaging and effective design solutions.
You will be responsible for leading design within one of our project teams–collaborating directly with Product Management and Engineering–developing, documenting, and communicating your research and testing activities before channeling them into key UX deliverables. You will also play a key role in providing support throughout feature development to ensure the end result matches the team’s product vision.
What you'll do:
- Translate user needs and business requirements into new features across web and mobile.
- Use data and research to envision and execute new product experiences and feature improvements.
- Collaborate directly with Product Management, Engineering, and other stakeholders to define experience strategies that make a difference to the overall product with intuitive, cohesive, and effective results.
- Ensure that the product logically flows from one step to the next, and perform regular testing to ensure all assumptions are validated with evidence.
- Create lean deliverables and documentation including project briefs, research plans & synthesis, personas, user scenarios, flows, iA, sitemaps, wireframes, prototypes, etc.
- Prototype your design ideas (using Framer, InVision, Flinto, et al) for team communication as well as early usability testing.
- Balance the long-term strategic view with the short-term tactical needs of a fast-paced, agile product environment.
- Collaborate with fellow Designers to ensure a consistent and cohesive experience across Strava’s product.
What we're looking for:
- Minimum of 5 years relevant experience as a key member of a UX team participating in the complete lifecycle of several successfully delivered web, mobile, and/or software applications.
Portfolio of desktop and mobile digital experiences with detailed descriptions of your process, role, and contribution.
- A passionate steward of a user-centered design process that includes user research & synthesis, exploration & concepting, prototyping & user testing to drive design decisions.
- Empathy for people, a fascination of why they do the things they do, including what motivates them, and a drive to always serve the end user.
- A strategic thinker who strongly considers purpose before considering the details of implementation.
- The ability to turn complex scenarios, requirements, and product challenges into simple and elegant design solutions.
- Ability to identify the right moments to create formal deliverables and the right level of fidelity.
- Excellent communication skills—you’ll need to pro-actively communicate your process and design ideas clearly and effectively on a cross-functional team.
- A balanced understanding of strategy, research, interaction and visual design is a must for the role.
- Obsessive attention to detail.
- A balance of confidence and humility.
- Experience in a project-level leadership position in previous roles that includes mentorship of junior designers.
Candidates must share a portfolio to be considered for the role.
This is a full-time position at our San Francisco office.
- Yearly gear and fitness stipends
- The rare opportunity to change the athletic landscape such that everyone who runs or rides is using the product you built. We’re not just another social web app, we’re helping real people reach their full athletic potential
- Sharp, motivated co-workers in a fun office environment.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, nine paid company holidays.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- 5 week vacation policy; work hard and take time when you need it.
Backed by Sequoia Capital, Madrone Partners and Sigma Partners, Strava is expanding in order to exceed the needs of our growing community of global athletes. By joining our team, you will help push Strava forward in fresh, innovative ways. You will engage in interesting and challenging work that will improve the lives of our athletes every day. And in the same way that Strava is deeply committed to unlocking the potential of our athletes, we are dedicated to providing a world-class workplace where our employees can grow and thrive. Join us!
Strava is an equal opportunity employer. In keeping with the values of Strava, we make all employment decisions including hiring, evaluation, termination, promotional and training opportunities, without regard to race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, physical handicap, mental disability, medical condition, disability, gender or identity or expression, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, marital status, height and/or weight.